586,393 active members*
2,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LinuxCNC not cutting at set IPM

I was recently doing a job on my new machine in acrylic with about 25ipm, realizing it was much to slow I upped the ipm to 60 in the gcode. However, the machine ended up cutting just as slow. Does anyone have any hints or tips?

Thanks

a few ideas:

1- maximum feedrate for one or more axes set too low. In coordinated movement, linuxcnc won't move any axis faster than this setting. you may have one that is dragging the whole thing down.

2- latency test results are limiting the maximum step rate that can be driven

3- microstepping set too high such that the cpu can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    a few ideas:

1- maximum feedrate for one or more axes set too low. In coordinated movement, linuxcnc won't move any axis faster than this setting. you may have one that is dragging the whole thing down.

2- latency test results are limiting the maximum step rate that can be driven

3- microstepping set too high such that the cpu can't keep up.
    Well the machine is running a dual core ~2.5 GHz so I doubt the computer is the bottleneck. All axes are set to 60ipm (maximum). As far as latency goes, I know latency isn't ideal on my machine, but would that really make the machine not cut fast enough? Wouldn't my engravings end up being inaccurate if that was the case?

Quote Originally Posted by blitz355 View Post
    Well the machine is running a dual core ~2.5 GHz so I doubt the computer is the bottleneck. All axes are set to 60ipm (maximum). As far as latency goes, I know latency isn't ideal on my machine, but would that really make the machine not cut fast enough? Wouldn't my engravings end up being inaccurate if that was the case?
    You can have a really fast processor and still ave bad latency numbers. Actually, on my computers, which range from an old 486 up to a dual core 3.2 GHz desktop, the one that has the best latency numbers for LinuxCNC is an old HP desktop with a 1.2GHz Pentium processor. The dual core has really bad latency numbers. What latency did your computer test out at??

Inputting the latency information into LinuxCNC sets the software up for the maximum speed that it can talk to the motor drivers, so it absolutely can affect maximum cutting speed.

Tell us the results of the latency test, the steps per inch for each axis, the max velocity set for each axis, etc. and we can be of better help. Alternately, post the contents of your .ini file.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    You can have a really fast processor and still ave bad latency numbers. Actually, on my computers, which range from an old 486 up to a dual core 3.2 GHz desktop, the one that has the best latency numbers for LinuxCNC is an old HP desktop with a 1.2GHz Pentium processor. The dual core has really bad latency numbers. What latency did your computer test out at??

Inputting the latency information into LinuxCNC sets the software up for the maximum speed that it can talk to the motor drivers, so it absolutely can affect maximum cutting speed.

Tell us the results of the latency test, the steps per inch for each axis, the max velocity set for each axis, etc. and we can be of better help. Alternately, post the contents of your .ini file.
    I will do this, might be awhile till I get around to it. Thanks for the input!

is this a file with a lot of small segments? Linuxcnc has the requirement that it has to be able to come to a stop at the end of each block, but that can slow things down quite a bit if there are a lot of short moves. You can try something like G64 P0.001 to see if that speeds things up

Quote Originally Posted by unterhaus View Post
    is this a file with a lot of small segments? Linuxcnc has the requirement that it has to be able to come to a stop at the end of each block, but that can slow things down quite a bit if there are a lot of short moves. You can try something like G64 P0.001 to see if that speeds things up
    It will also smooth out vibrations caused by many stop'n'go. I use it all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    It will also smooth out vibrations caused by many stop'n'go. I use it all the time!
    Hello, I must admit, I haven't had much time to put into the machine and do not know what the G64 p0.001 command is. I will research it. Also, as an addon to my original post to help diagnose the problem, my machine can jog at full speed. Even when all axes are being moved at the same time. Does this also point to using that G64 command?

As always, thanks for any more input that you may have!