586,058 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

multipile height offsets

sorry for the cross post, i posted on the Sprut side of this forum, but it doesnt seem to get a lot of traffic so i thought I would run it by you guys.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/sprutc...ts_one_op.html

Ok so I will try to explain this the best I can.

I work the full 10"x18" of my PCNC1100 everyday, mostly titanium and CPM "super" steels. I buy all of this in 10x18" sheets over sized 3/16th for the steel, and 3/16ths for the titanium.

The problem I have, which isnt a huge problem, but I know it can be better, is that the material varies in thickness a bit. and I get height and depth differences of up to .002-.009 sometime. Which sucks but its not a world ender, just makes my job harder later.

Im too cheap to send everything out for double disk grinding right now, and its too big to fit on my surface grinder. So I would like to know how to make SprutCAM use the passive probe I have, and check several different sections of the plates to set the height and use that as a height offset for each tool.

Problem I see with this is, I import one part into Sprut and then use the transform function to make 14 more parts. so 15 total. so Im not sure if you can make an individual sub route for each transform function?

Any help or insight into this would be of great help.

Thanks! God bless

Why not simply set your Z reference position relative to the table, rather than the top of the part. Put the Z zero at the correct height for a correct dimension piece of stock, then face it off to the correct height before doing all the other machining. I do it that way all the time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

You can set individual sub routines for each one easily using g52 offsets. I don't know how to automate the probe but if you know the heights at each location you can program something like.

(SAFETY CODE)
    M98 P001 L1
    G52 X1.5 Z0.002 (SHIFTS X1.5 TO NEXT PARTS AND Z 2 THOU UP)
    M98 P001 L1
    G52 X3 Z0.004 (SHIFTS ANOTHER 1.5 INCH +X AND Z UP TO 0.004 TOTAL)
    M98 P001 L1

G52 X0Y0Z0 (CANCELS ALL G52 OFFSETS)

(END CODE PRORAMING)
    M30
    %

O001(subroutine)
    (your code for just one part)
    M98
    %

If you program with two parts nested and repeat the nest you can make one P001 and the other P002 or put them in the same routine.

I have codes with many levels of sub routines. Level one calls first OP then second etc so I can turn off just one operation after adjusting or replacing a broken screw in the fixture or changing a worn tool etc. Level 2 calls 3 columns of parts so I can turn off just the right column easily for example. Level three calls subroutines for actual machining. These are labeled (part 1) (part 2) etc so I can quickly turn off just the first column and then just the first 2 parts on column 2. Its a little complicated to program but for production parts it pays off in spades during machining. It also helps learn more about coding.

Thus also works great on programs where variables change. For example I have several parts similar to yours where I machine full height then load in a vise on their side 8 wide and machine together. Since the bar thickness varies by up to 0.01 from side to center I keep the outside parts all together, second row together middle together through tumbling. Then when I'm ready to machine I only program the slotting on the first part with the datum on center line but zero the machine on the fixed jaw and use:

(safety code)
    #100=.2525
    #110=[#100/2]

G49 T180 M6 (TOOL CALL)
    G43 H180

G54
    M98 P001 L1 (MAGAZINE 8 PARTS IN FIRST VISE)
    G55
    M98 P001 L1 (MACHINE 8 PARTS IN 2ND VISE)
    G56
    M98 P001 L1 (MACHINE 8 PARTS IN 3RD VISE)
    G54
    G52 X0Y0Z0
    M30
    %

O001
    (SAFETY STRIP - MAKE SURE NO 54 CALL OUTS)

G52 Y[-1*#110] (OFFSETS HALF CURRENT PARTS THICKNESS)
    (1) M98 P1000 L1

(2) G52 Y[[#100*-1]-#110]

(2) M98 P1000 L1

(3) G52 Y[[#100*-2]-#110]

(3) M98 P1000 L1

ETC

GO Z2
    G52 X0Y0Z0
    M99
    %

O1000
    (ACTUAL CODE FOR ONE PART)
    GO Z0.2
    M99
    %

MIND YOU I'm typing that on my phone from memory sitting in the waiting room getting my truck serviced so there may be minor errors but the concept should be there.

By simply changing the value of #100 to match the part thickness it let's me machine 4 different thicknesses off the same code. If the lots drift off a few thou by the 8th part I just change #100=.2522 to #100=.2519

When loading new parts I throw a / in front of parts 5-8 so they aren't ruined by any error in the actual thickness. These parts need the slots centered +/- 0.004 which is easily thrown off over 8 parts. My last run was 3 weeks ago and had over 5000 parts cut using that strategy. I am actually still finishing up the delrin portion of the assembly. The delrin parts actually get cut to the same thickness in soft jaws by a helper at $10/hr on my x3 since the error in the thickness on their sheets is less predictable so I can't group them. Once I measured them all with calipers and grouped them but found its cheaper to pay $140 hand have 2400 machined to desired thickness in house by a helper. Helper's happy. Customer's happy. I'm happy.

Brian
    WOT Designs

One other tip when using g52: if you interrupt a program ALWAYS type G52 X0Y0Z0 INTO THE MDI. Any agustments you make to position will be wonky otherwise

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by jake hoback View Post
    sorry for the cross post, i posted on the Sprut side of this forum, but it doesnt seem to get a lot of traffic so i thought I would run it by you guys.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/sprutc...ts_one_op.html

Ok so I will try to explain this the best I can.

I work the full 10"x18" of my PCNC1100 everyday, mostly titanium and CPM "super" steels. I buy all of this in 10x18" sheets over sized 3/16th for the steel, and 3/16ths for the titanium.

The problem I have, which isnt a huge problem, but I know it can be better, is that the material varies in thickness a bit. and I get height and depth differences of up to .002-.009 sometime. Which sucks but its not a world ender, just makes my job harder later.

Im too cheap to send everything out for double disk grinding right now, and its too big to fit on my surface grinder. So I would like to know how to make SprutCAM use the passive probe I have, and check several different sections of the plates to set the height and use that as a height offset for each tool.

Problem I see with this is, I import one part into Sprut and then use the transform function to make 14 more parts. so 15 total. so Im not sure if you can make an individual sub route for each transform function?

Any help or insight into this would be of great help.

Thanks! God bless
    Hit up john grimsmo on youtube; I dont know the specifics on how to make it work in mach as I don't use it, and happen to know he does exactly as you're wanting to do and for the exact same reason.

And come back here and tell us. :-)

I found the video he does it in.
    Knifemaking Tuesdays Week 64 Torx milling, lots of Norseman knives - YouTube

Around the 11:30 mark.

when I have a sec Ill come back to this, thanks guys!!!