586,116 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SolidWorks How To question

I am having a rough time figuring this one out...

The attached file shows the part I am trying to model, with a 3-d sketch of one cut (one of twenty-six) shown.
    The end result will be one half of a pair of identical hubs that will lock together (similar to the way a bicycle saddle mounts to the shaft), allowing for incremental rotation / locking of the parts that will be affixed to the hubs.

The hub dimensions are as follows...
    1.0" OD, .562" ID, .300" OAL.
    There are 26 grooves in the face, which are .030" deep.
    The angle of the "v" changes across the width of the part such that the peaks formed between the grooves will remain on the same plane.

As the attached file shows, the "v" would, if extended to the centerline, become a 0-width vertical feature.
    Because the angle of the "v" changes like this, it is actually a curved surface, not a plane.
    I can draw the v, but I can not figure out how to perform the cut on the model.
    This is undoubtedly a simple operation, but it is beyond my experience with SW2003.

PLEASE HELP?!?!?!
    Attached Files Attached Files

can you post the solidworks file in .stlprt format could not open in this format

Oh, yeah...
    Here 'tis...

I got the file open and will do a quick one stay tuned

I'm all ears...
    Like I said, I'm sure this is something simple, but I've never had to do this type of surface before.
    I'm anxious to see how it's done!

take a look and see if this is what your looking for it .iges format

Ummm... no.
    The groove(s) are cut .030" into the top face of the part, sort of 'sunburst' style.

I just reread your post and relised the file not what yo are looking for

I'll try again

The problem is this:
    If I just plunge in with a form mill (at 127 degrees), then the profile is fine, but only at the OD. As the cut approaches the center of the part, the cuts overlap each other, and the resultant ridge(s) taper down below the surface of the part.
    When this happens, I lose clamping power.
    If I compensate by tapering the cut, then the mating parts will no longer seat correctly.
    The only solution to maintain constant depth and functionality, is for the angle to change as it progresses across the face (as shown by the 3-d sketch.)
    I have a SLR shop who can make the part for me to use as a master for a mold, but I can't seem to get the hang of it... I assume it's a draft, but...

here a dxf and a g tape i did not make a solid out of it yet

Not sure what I'm looking at... all I got was several planar lines.

The .txt file is going to result in what I mentioned earlier... "If I just plunge in with a form mill (at 127 degrees), then the profile is fine, but only at the OD. As the cut approaches the center of the part, the cuts overlap each other, and the resultant ridge(s) taper down below the surface of the part."

that was just the circle size cut into 26 sec. the form tool would follow those lines and stop at the end of each move I"m missing something

Maybe I'm not explaining this correctly.
    If I just plunge in with a form mill, I will get a part that looks like the attachment with this post.
    The ridges between the cuts taper down from the face, because the constant-width grooves (same angle, same depth) overlap more and more as they approach the center of the hub.
    I need the ridges to remain on the same plane, AND maintain the .030" depth. This means that the angle will have to decrease as the groove approaches center, until it would become (theoretically) 0 degrees at the centerline.
    The 3-d sketch I did in the first model I posted shows the desired shape of one groove, but I am unable to perform the 'cut' operation in solidworks... a simple extruded cut will not work; it will have to be a loft or a draft, but I do not know how to do it correctly.

let me look at this in moring it about 1130 here and I'm not to with it right now I think I know where you going now

hello Ghyman
    i seen ur model but i didnt underestand what u wants to built up?

here a 3d tape with a .06 ball can program for smaller if need the last file cleared it up you could run a sharp vee with this and see if it what you need

tape was base on your last file

OK... let me start over.
    I want to make a part with 26 grooves in the face, all of them are to be .030" deep.
    The requirement is that the grooves will be shaped such that they will intersect at sharp edges that form a flat, planar surface.
    To achieve this, the groove(s) must be shaped as follows:
    At the OD of the part (1.00" dia), the groove will have a 126.74 included angle.
    As the groove progresses toward the ID, it will gradually decrease to 96.94 degrees at the .562 diameter bore.
    Obviously, standard tooling will not accomplish this.
    My solution is to have a stereolithography prototype made, and used to make a mold; I can then have the parts cast rather than machined.
    However, I am not able to perform the extruded/lofted/drafted/tapered cut in solid works to produce this contour.

you may be byond my skill level but I look at it in moring my wife what me to go to bed

Page 1 of 2 12