586,112 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > Guitar Builders Need Help on a K2 CNC machine with router using Kmotion

Guitar Builders Need Help on a K2 CNC machine with router using Kmotion

We are guitar builders transitioning from hand crafted to CNC built guitars. We are using a K2 built cnc machine with Rhino CAD and Rhino CAM. The machine software is KMotion by Dynamotion. We ran a prototype and it went well. We made a few adjustments to the prototype and ran them and the machine dove down in Z and cut the neck in half! We have reviewed the CAD and CAM and there are no code errors that would cause the machine to do this. We do not know if the Kmotion software is at fault or the machine has a switch not connected. We are new to this and could use some help in trying to get the machine up and running. K2 is of NO HELP AT ALL. Please advise if you can help. We are located in the North Houston TX area You can also reach me at [email protected]

Does the machine use servo's or steppers?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

They are DC Servo motors

Then I would have expected the control to know the servo was in a runaway condition, if that's what it was, and shut the drives down?
    It all depends on how they configured the software?
    Tom (Dynomotion) visits regularly so may have a suggestion.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi leihtning,

What software are you running to control the machine? Did you mean to say our KMotionCNC? Or Mach3? Or something by K2?

Are the Servo Amplifiers Geckos?

Is the problem repeatable? If you run the Job over and over (in the air) does it usually work? Or does it fail every time?

After the failure what did the DROs read?

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Tom

Our CNC has a K2 Computer bundle with K2MC Motion Control Software in the program it says KMotion. I am not certain about how to answer the other questions you posed

1. Servo Amplifiers Geckos (where could I locate information to determine?)
    2. DROs can be found?

Sorry for my lack of information to respond, we are neophytes on this and could truly use some help.

Hi leihtning,

I've never heard of K2MC software. If you have no link or reference to it post some screen shots. You can do this by pushing Alt-Print Screen to copy the computer screen to the clip board. Then paste into something like Windows Paint and save as a *.png file. Then upload to cnczone. Post any configuration screes as well as the main screen.

One of the most important things in any CNC system is what is used to drive the motors. These are referred to sometimes as Drives or Amplifiers. You should do some digging and research and find out what kind you have. The motor wires will be connected to those. Gecko is a common servo drive manufacturer. Check if these are like yours.

http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive...dc-drives.html

DRO stands for Digital Read Out. Those are the axis numbers on the screen showing where the axis is commanded to be. I would like to try to determine if the system was somehow commanded to crash and that is why it crashed, or if the system was not commanded to crash but it crashed anyway. This is sort of like after a car crashes off of the road you might look at the steering wheel to see if it somehow turned to the side causing the crash, of if the steering wheel remained straight but somehow the car swerved to the side anyway.

You didn't answer my other question.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com