586,106 active members*
3,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Parameter setting for M198 call on Fanuc 0T Puma

Question Parameter setting for M198 call on Fanuc 0T Puma

I need to run a small sub program from computer by DNC with M198 call.
    Can any body tell me which parameter required setting?
    I am using Puma with Fanuc 0T controls.

it is possible that you mean M98? i don't think i've ever seen an M198

M98 is a sub call amd M99 sends it back.. as far as i know there is no need to adjust any paramete.. i could be wrong thoguh.. but But have used the pumas Fanuc OT and that's how we did it..

DNC for OT

Dear Parminder,

Why you want to run a small program through DNC.
    If it small, transfer it directly to the control & run it with M98 Pxxxx Lyy.
    xxxx is the four digit program number (without the starting 'O') & yy is the number of repeatations.

In case you want to run DNC, then you normaly have a menu on the Mode selector switch. Set the Baud rate & stop bits. Then select the DNC Mode, start cycle & then start DNC software on your PC.
    smabhyan

It is not M98 but M198. The reason for this is that I have setup an gauge system. We need to gauge the parts while machine running and its values will be stored in a computer. We want to auto set the offsets with G10 command. While main program will call M198 command, which calls a subprogram from serial port (DNC), this sub program will change the required offsets with G10 command. This way I can 100% check parts while reducing machine downtime. I know that to enable M198 call I need to set parameters which are optional requirement in fanuc.

I lost my manual otherwise I could find it.

Parminder

try 63.2, it allows "p" number to be used in m198 call

I currently am having the same problem, except I am trying to read my subprogram off a pmcia card. As soon as I can figure it out I will let you all know. I have a call into the applications department and am expecting a call soon.

On Monday I'll try with 63.2 I'll let you know if I succeeded. I'll wait for Adam's answer as well
    Thanks any way for your answers.

Parminder

I still have no luck with communication throgh M198 with machine.
    I already have parameter 63 bit2=1 on as suggested by spark-el. Some body suggested 38 to be bit6=1 bit7=0

Has anybody have a clue what this parameter is for?

parminder

Sorry for the delay in reply of the m198 issue. I gave the Star people(the machine tech center) a call and they were no help, and sent me to fanuc, and after no responce from them we opted to second op the parts to the mills.

Sorry man

Sounds like you're trying to use the FTP server (Data Server) option. If you have the Ethernet connection to your PCs network, you must first set up your PC to behave like an FTP server. This can be done using the Windows 2000 or XP. Once the PC is set to respond to FTP requests from the CNC, then you can use the M198 command. This method is best when trying to run super-long files in DNC mode from the PC.

If you don't want to mess around with Ethernet and the FTP Data Server option, you can just run your program directly off your PC in "TAPE" mode using an RS232 DNC link. The "main" program on the PC can have the G10 offset commands that your gaging system calculates, then an M98 command to call the actual part program from the CNCs memory. Your PC will then have to create a new "Main" file every time it calcuates new G10 commands.

Our DNC software has an "in process gaging" option that works like this:

1) Gaging devices send RS232 data to any serial port on the DNC system
    2) Our software uses your criteria for calculating a G10 command
    3) When a G10 is created for any gaging device, it's saved as a file
    4) The DNC system is set up to "drip-feed" your program to the CNC
    5) A "Call xxxx" statement is added to the main program to call the G10 commands
    6) The CNC will receive the file without G10 commands if none exist
    7) The CNC will receive a file with G10 commands if they do exist
    8) Any gage can send an "M02 (OFFSET OUT OF RANGE)" to the CNC if the data exceeds a preset limit.

If you use absolute (G90) G10 commands, then it won't hurt if your CNC gets the same G10 command on every part cycle, but then manual offset adjustments won't work. If you use incremental (G91) G10 commands, then you must NOT send the G10 command to the CNC more than once.

Hope this info helps.
    For info on our DNC system with in-process gaging, see our web page at:
    www.sub-soft.com/dncplus.htm

If you want to see how we do it, refer to our web page:

Post process gaging interface

For a gauge interface to your machine that will make corrections based upon a statistical algorithm (and not be subject to errors caused by "flyers") and NOT impact the cycle time I would suggest you take a look at our EZ-Comp System at - http://www.ovationengineering.com/EZComp.htm
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

I was told by an ex Fanuc engineer to change parameter 916 bit 7=1 to enable M198 call but it did not work.

As far as above softwares are concerned we can only choose a DNC software once we are able to call a program from CNC controls.

Anybody with any other idea to enable M198 call?

Dear Parminder,

For Fanuc O-serie controls, the TAPE or Drip-Feed mode can be normally selected through Mode Selector switch. Does your machine has this mode on the selector switch or not?

If such Mode is not available, then there has to be a Data Bit assigned by the MTB (machine tool builder) to enable this mode. Better talk to PUMA Service people.

This Data Bit or Mode is required because, the Option bits will just enable the option but the Mode will be activated with the selector switch or with the Data bit.
    smabhyan

Quote Originally Posted by smabhyan
    For Fanuc O-serie controls, the TAPE or Drip-Feed mode can be normally selected through Mode Selector switch. Does your machine has this mode on the selector switch or not?
    Actually my question was not Tape or Drip feed. It is about running a subprogram through serial port by M198 call.

We have done it. I'll post the parameters needed to change on wednesday.

Parminder

I have Fanuc series O control & wish to run the program directly from my pc because the program i very big & my controller doesn't have enough memory. can anybody guide me please

You should probably start a “new thread” with a title stating what you need. This thread is 4 1/2yrs old and is labeled as “parameter setting for M198 call on a Puma” and really has no relevance to your question.

Stevo

FANUC 0 serial not support M198, M198 to call subprogram from CF card or data server or FTP mold direct from pc, Fanuc 0i serial controller will work with M198