586,219 active members*
3,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Nano Interpolation vs 104/D

Nano Interpolation vs 104/D

Fadal has agreed to swap out our defective 104/D machine for a Fanuc 18i machine.

We have some confusion regarding the nano interpolation option on the Fanuc.

While we have not been doing any high resolution 3D machining yet with our 104/D, we did plan on doing that in the future.

Fadal is saying that nano interpolation is beyond what the 104/D control can do.

We just want to make sure we are getting a machine with the same capabilities as the one we paid for.

Can anyone help clarify?

TDavid

104/d

You can be confident that the Fanuc 18i is far superior to the M30 control, which is the only option from Fadal, now that they have recalled the 104/d.

I have experienced increased reliability and performance with the Fanuc 18i over the standard M30 control. We use the "Analyzer" from Fadal extensively for high speed machining, (over 150 inches / per minute), (up to 9000 mm / min, since we run in metric). The finishes and speed of program execution using the Fanuc are superior in every way to the Fadal M30, even using the Analyzer program.

There are a couple of issues that you will have to address in the post processor, to change from Fadal code to Fanuc, in your CAD/CAM system, but they are minor. We do not output sequence numbers every line, but every 100 lines. because the Fanuc will not accept line numbers greater than 99,999. In this way we can run overnight unattended and exceed 1 million lines of code without a problem. Also, the very convenient program restart which automatically sends the tool back to it's original position when you feed hold and jog away, to clear the part, etc., is not as automatic with Fanuc. You just have to pay attention to the "relative" position numbers, and return it to "relative" 0.0, before you restart. These differences are minor compared to the superior performance of the Fanuc control.

Like the old saying about computers that you can't go wrong buying IBM, you can't go wrong buying Fanuc. There is a reason they are the market leader in controls.

Heh, with the ton of issues we have had with the 104/D, the Fanuc will be a superstar I am sure.

Do you have the nano interpolation option on your Fanuc?

Yes, I believe we do have nano technology on our 18i. My understanding is that this is a standard feature, but I may be mistaken.

I am curious to know if anyone has "hands on" compared the Siemens control to the Fanuc control.
    Siemens brags heavily about there control, supposed to be more user friendly than the Fanuc.

Anyone?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Tdavid,

AI NANO CC (Artifical Inteligence "Nano or tiny" Contouring Control) is not standard when you buy a Fanuc 18i. At least with most builders, it runs about 5k. Well worth it considering the performance benefit. Without Ai Nana you cannot feed accurately at higher feed rates (above 100 ipm). The behavior of the CNC servo system during motion is compensated depending on geometry in the look ahead buffer. If you do a lot of 3D contouring then HPCC is recommended as it is the next level of high performance and includes upgrading to another processor to help with the calculations. The G and M code settings (they must be turned on as they are not automatic), are variable or user selectable at 4 levels of accuracy or speed trade off. I say trade off because on a Fanuc control like many others if you want speed then you have to settle for less accuracy. In my experience, there is one exception to this "trade off" scenario, known as the Numeryx control, but that is another subject.
    To ansewer your question, be sure to get the AI Nano CC at least, and if you do 3D or multi axis (more than 3), then get the HPCC.

Good luck with your Fadal,
    Scott_bob

Scott_bob,

Thanks for that clear explanation.

Would you consider the 104/D to have the processor power and look ahead to match the Fanuc with AI NANO CC?

Right now I am just trying to make sure that the replacement machine we are getting matches the capabilities of the one we are replacing.

If the 104/D already has the ability to match the Fanuc 18i with AI NANO CC, then I will demand that the replacment machine must come equipped with AI NANO CC at no extra cost.

Thanks.

TDavid

AI Nano CC

TDavid,

There is very little in the Fadal control that matches the Fanuc...
    My honest concern to ansewer your question is whether Fadal can integrate a Fanuc control correctly, I doubt it. But, this is just my opinion... High performance CNC motion control is not that easy as evidenced by your own experience with Fadal's newest control. I have seen machine tool builders larger and higher quality than Fadal Engineering be unsuccessful. Admittedly, my definition of success is not the same as the next guy... Some guys drive Chevrolet, some drive Ford...

I've come to appreciate the input on these subjects from those who contribute here on the zone,

I have included a picture of two parts dowel pinned together.
    The part on top is "good," & the small inside radius should be .219 (I marked with a black magic marker) the part underneath to highlight that parts out of tolerance condition. That radius is like R.3 (that would make it .080 off nominal size).

Part on top:
    G49 (Must be used at the start of each tool and again at the end of the tool)
    G332 R4. (Turns On Ai Nano to highest level of accuracy)
    G05.1 Q1 (smooth arcs)
    F250.

Bad part on the bottom:
    (no Ai Nano CC activated)
    F220.

At these feeds a Fanuc controlled CNC is not accurate, without using Ai Nano CC...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fanuc with Ai Nano CC on.jpg  
    Scott_bob