586,033 active members*
3,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A Simple Test?

OK...brand new to BoCAD-CAM. So this will be a simple test. I have an oak table leg and I want to mill a groove(rectangular) in the top of the
    leg on the left side. See the image showing the machine simulation. The simulation shows the bit cutting the perimeter of the groove but does not
    clear out the inner material in the groove. It only cuts a rectangle in the top.

So...what is my basic error here. I sure I must have made an erroneous selection...possily in the mill 3 axis menu?... or what?

Thanks

Jim

The operation you want for that cut is a Pocket, which will clear out the inner material to a selected depth. The Sim looks like you may have used a Profile cut, possibly? Profile just follows the geometry you select, given various offsets, etc. It won't get to the inside stock in a case like that. There are other possibilities, but given the info, that's a first guess.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

bobcad guy Guest
    I mostly agree with trot, but, I would use the advanced pocket, with a dashed line as the top of the leg geometry, thus making an open pocket strategy. just go to bobcadafterdark.com and watch als' open pocket vid. should clear up the problem

Welcome to BoBCAD,if you would like to gain knowledge,I recommend http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...formation.html

That link has tons of info.

Could be just the "workpiece" is visible and you wanrt to see the cutout? STart the sim and clcik the show/hide workpiece once for transparent and twice for invisible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workpiece material.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	196658