586,102 active members*
2,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hobart Airforce 400

I have the Hobart airforce 400 plasma machine w/handtorch specs out at 3/8 max around 27amps. I want to use this on a CNC plasma table, and I plan on building my own table. Will this machine be OK to use? I purchased this for auto restoration not long ago and really dont want to buy another cutter.
    My plans are for sign making, small brackets and plates w/ 1/4" being the nominal thickness and maybe 3/8 once in a while. Just a hobbiest so if I have to run it slow no problem, but I want a clean cut.

should work fine, I had the Miller equivalent {375 cutmate} in my old homebuilt pantograph machine, cut clean on 1/4 plate all day. piercing was ok, it really wore the tips down, but I suppose with a thc it would work fine. In my opinion, it will work better than some larger units, because you can turn the amperage down enough for cutting thin gauge steel with minimal warpage.

Thanks thats great news! Now I just have to do some reading on here and come up with a table plan. I see there is plenty of info!
    Thanks again for the reply and the help.