586,655 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > A fix for z-axis backlash on TAIG mills

A fix for z-axis backlash on TAIG mills

Origionally I assumed that z-axis backlash on my TAIG mill was at the nut. I took the head assembly apart and realized this was not true! The Z-axis endplate (red square in the pic) was not "tight" to the screw assembly which left .011 backlash on the Z. I took the nut off the screw assembly (red circle in the pic) and lightly tapped down a few times with a hammer and re-tightened the nut. Probably a no-brainer to alot of you but this was a source for many problems to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z-axis backlash.JPG  

Yes, you need to make sure the leadscrew is against the bearing, not floating. You do want the slide to be loose enough that gravity takes up the backlash in the nut though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smertrios
    Origionally I assumed that z-axis backlash on my TAIG mill was at the nut. I took the head assembly apart and realized this was not true! The Z-axis endplate (red square in the pic) was not "tight" to the screw assembly which left .011 backlash on the Z. I took the nut off the screw assembly (red circle in the pic) and lightly tapped down a few times with a hammer and re-tightened the nut. Probably a no-brainer to alot of you but this was a source for many problems to me.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

This was an old post, but it helped solve my backlash problem on the Z axis. The tapping with a hammer didn't seem necessary in my situation. All I needed was a little tightening of the nut (red circle in pic). I went from .009 backlash to a little more than .001

Thanks,

Al Z.

1st thing to check for Taig backlash

I was having trouble with backlash on my Y-axis and remembered stumbling on this post that talks about a loose nut on the z-axis being a potential source of backlash. So I decided to tighten the nut on my y-axis... Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that my backlash reduced from over 0.004 to under 0.001! This seems to be an important thing to check for any axis with high backlash!

Thanks X1000 Smertrios!

-John

Taig has videos on YouTube talking about this, they are hard to find so I... I mean B-Rad has a thread showing them all.

Also what have you done with your leadscrew nuts? I assume you've adjusted them too? If done completely right you can obtain less than .0005" backlash, if you have strong motors and good lube. I have a video showing it on my X axis.

Excellent!

Yeah I'm getting sick of this type of connection and trying this out...
    I got them form E-bay $6 or $8 and you need to cut the threads down on your screw to 6.30mm. This will fit the DSLS Stepper motors and Taig screws stock!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNDLS2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	172711
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNDLS3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	172712

Link?
    Dave->..

Those look like black-anodized aluminum

They'll work for a while and then break. The stock Taig couplings are better. If you want to go with helicals, then get them in stainless.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

The ones I have are hard anodized aluminum but I could see over time they could break ... I'll have to pick up some hi-quality ones after they no longer work. Here is the link I from E-bay there in the us and shipping is free!

1 4 Flex Shaft Coupling CNC 25" Servo Stepper Motor 6 35mm Coupler Black | eBay

Thank you-

Dave
    Dave->..

Those will break fast depending on your milling style, plus could incorporate minor backlash, grab it and twist on opposite sides. Stock is "way more better"

I personally am not using them for my Taig .

I actually like the setup that the Taig comes with, just have to make sure the gaps are just right.

Dave
    Dave->..

Excellent!