586,113 active members*
3,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sputtering DIY Fog-Buster Setup

I've constructed a home made fog buster, and am having problems with reliable coolant flow and sputtering. I'm fairly certain the problem lies with my nozzle setup. Instead of using a 1/8 OD straight tube, I opted to use Loc-Line. In an effort to keep the coolant concentrated in the air stream, I ran 1/8 inch ID tubing inside the Loc-line and also turned a brass nozzle with a .045 ID.

In my previous research, I've only seen a couple Fog-Buster style setups with flexible tubing before the nozzle and if I recall correctly, they mixed the coolant and air at the nozzle. Anyone have any experience with mixing coolant and air at the tip? I saw a couple examples out there but can't find them again for the life of me.

I'm currently trying to use ACCU-LUBE LB-3000 as someone I know gave me a bottle after they sold their production machine that used it. This stuff seems pretty thick to me, and I wonder if its causing some of my problems.

ACCU-LUBE MQL Metalworking Lubricant, 3000lb, Gal - Cutting and Grinding Fluids - 1MKN1|LB3000 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Can't help much but you could try cutting the coolant with water to reduce viscosity to see if it helps.
    Could also just play around with straight water.

Welcome aboard
    Matt