Hey all. First post here. Glad to see such an informative site.

I've been dabbling with getting into machining, with no real or otherwise experience at all. That said, while the nature of dimensions (0.003", 1/64th, etc.) is intimidating, I think I can handle it. The technique of it all is another question. And it's one that will probably lead to its share of broken bits.

So starting where most guys like me probably start, the question is with hardware. I'd like to keep my budget around $2500. And this is something that needs to be benchtop (double-checked, yep, right thread!). 4th axis is preferable and HSS facing and pocketing are going to be necessary (think; small-sized parts like muzzle brakes). Accuracy and precision are also necessary factors.

Sherline and Taig make me question rigidity. The power doesn't bother me, as time is on my side (and unless the power is just completely inadequate). But if anyone knows from experience; at slow enough feeds, will they be rigid enough? Will they have enough power?

The other option is an X2. It seems to have a little more oomph. But questions about accuracy come into play, especially with the initial setup. Tramming is a subject that I'm currently in the grey about.

Would someone recommend this package, for a Sherline or X2, at $1400?
Cnc Systems - SYS-5- Assembled Servo Driver System USB-2

Also, the ball screw upgrade for the X2 seems popular. How desirable is it?

I've spent days reading and searching. And one factor that raises its head repeatedly is that a lot of the sites and/or blogs are really dated. There's also the humorous part that most of the businesses selling stuff online seem to have designed their sites for a mid-90's browser like Netscape Navigator So am I current with my questions? Or is all of this completely out of date and there's some new whiz bang mill that I've completely missed?

Lastly, while Mach 3 is a given, what CAM package at around $1000 would be on everyone's menu?

Regards,

Mike