586,609 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Help me choose! Probotix vs Velox. first cnc!

Help me choose! Probotix vs Velox. first cnc!

I'm debating between the two both in 2' x 4' . Velox looks more robust and solid, and 8" Z-travel vs 6" on the Probotix.. Probotix has a better design for X-axis arms which save more space( approx 10in ) and also comes with a computer system.

I'm also looking at the Dewalt 611, is it a good choice? Is precise bits / collets/ nuts necessary, since I'm cutting plywood?What kind of bit is the best to cut 1/4-3/4 in plywood,mdf, and 1/8 - 1/4 plexiglass? I only have a single 20 Amp circuit where I plan to put my first baby in.

Any additional thought would be nice too. I have searched the forum but I still love to hear fresh thought.

I am in the same boat as you, I started looking at the Zenbot 2448 then the Probotix Meteor and now the Velox 2x4. I am having option anxiety with all the choices available. Velox is getting a little outside of my price range but seems to be built better than the other two. The Probotix is close to where I live so that could be a good choice, I really like how it comes ready to go too.

The 611 router is nice, I have one in my shop for light/trim routing along with a Ridgid model of the same size, can't remember the model and a Bosch Colt. In my ovrearm pin router I use a Bosch 1617 2.25 hp rouer which I really love I also have a Porter Cable 690. Of all the routers I own and use the Bosch 1617 is my favorite. It always has enough power, the speed control works very well and it runs the best with the stock collets in terms of run out. The Ridgid is probably my second fav for ease of use, quiet operation (for a router) and good speed control. Having said this, this is where I'm at with the Probotix, It doesn't seem like they offer mounts for larger sized routers like my 1617 where the Velox does. Feed Rates, depth of cut are important but I'd like to have the peace of mind knowing my router isn't running it's guts out to keep up, I'd rather have more HP than not enough.

Probotix just came out with their new bolt-on rotary axis. They have better price, i agree. While looking less solid, the diagonal arm made me think it will balance better. Hp is important but i saw the little rotozip cutting just fine. I'm probably going with probotix. Search probotix 3d and probotix milling aluminum on youtube. They will upgrade to 3x4 at very little cost. Keep this conversation going though