587,030 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    A Haas is a lot larger and if you enter "G0 X(straight into vise)" it will break a larger endmill than the Tormach will, but beyond that, what exactly makes them so different to use? There's plenty of reasons to prefer a Tormach (I bought one) but it's not clear to me how it's that different to operate than any other 3-axis milling machine. If anything I'd prefer the fully-integrated control system on a Haas over Mach 3--part of why I use LinuxCNC.
    There are a couple things going on, in my mind. Naturally, this is totally subjective but...

One issue is the cost of a screw up. The Tormach has enough power to damage work holding and tool holders but (to the best of my knowledge) the 1100 is going to have a much harder time hurting itself and is going to cost a whole lot less to service when/if it does. The same applies for just normal wear and tear on components. At some point a servo drive on the Haas is going to crap out just as sure as a driver on the Tormach will. The difference in how much it costs to repair could be really significant to someone looking to just messing about in their garage (and I'm inferring that's the OP's goal, as he asked about 'entry' level tools).

Another is the integrated controller; I don't see it as being at all friendly to a new CNC user. It's certainly a more powerful method of control, but Mach3 still has a lot going for it. It's immediately familiar as a windows application, the 'wizards' are a great bridge to MDI, the cost of a new controller is the cost of a PC (parallel port shenanigans aside) and no worries about drip feeding an older controller or whatnot. There are naturally cons to Mach3 but, if the question is which road is the new user going to find easier/more productive, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I'm not really clear on what the obstacles to three phase power in garages and residential areas are these days. I've heard mixed opinions on phase converters ranging from 'cheap and easy' to 'pain in the rear end'. In either case it's another thing for the new user to deal with just to get the Haas running (do they make a single phase machine?).

All in all if you're looking to buy a 3 or 4 axis mill having never owned or operated one I think the Haas is going to be a really expensive and steep learning curve. If you've got the job prospects to back it up, sweet! But I can't help thinking that if you're looking to buy a used machine there's probably a reason the last guy is trying to sell it.

[QUOTE=Moggot;1343424In either case it's another thing for the new user to deal with just to get the Haas running (do they make a single phase machine?).
    [/QUOTE]

Yes they do. Their Mini Mills are both single and 3 phase machines as are their Toolroom mills and lathes.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Re: Should I buy a Tormach...

Nice

Page 2 of 2 12