586,912 active members*
3,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > DIY 2 X 72 Belt Grinder With CNC'd Components

Hybrid View

2 X 72 Grinder Tool Rest

Hi,

Well, I finished the tool rest plate and associated lower bracket today. The bracket has 2 each 3/8 holes that are fitted with flat head socket screws. The screw holes are threaded about 2/3 rds of the way down and the bottom 1/3 has a clearance hole so that the nylon inserted lock nuts can pull tension on the bar and tighten it into the correct position. The bracket also has 2 each .750 holes cross drilled into the brackt to accept the tool bar. This system allows movement in the up/down, in/out and sideways direction. A universal system that will allow movement in most any direction. I stlll need to make another bracket for the 8" wheel for a table support when the grinder is placed in the horizontal position.

Once that is complete I will start work on my next attachment.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

2 X 72 Grinder 8" Wheel Horizontal Table

Hi,

Well, I machined the 8" Wheel Horizontal Table today and it's associated lower bracket. The table top is attached to the lower support bracket with 3 each 1/4 X 20 SS flat head socket head machine screws.

Here are a few pictures of my Horizontal Table. All I need to do yet is trim a little off the bottom and drill and tap a hole for a locking screw. The wheel that is currently on the machine is only 7.5 inches in diameter. I will be putting a new 8.0 inch wheel on it. That is why is appears that the wheel doesn't fit as good as it should to the table contour machined tool path.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Just spotted this one John, great looking build mate! I really like the degree of flexibility it offers.

From memory I think this must have been the one John Grimsmo referred to in the video of the one he is building?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

MULTI-TOOL ROTARY TOOL PLATEN DESIGN ANNOUNCEMENT 2" x 72" BELT GRINDER 12-04-2013

Hi Ian,

First thanks for the favorable comment.

I am in the process of designing a truly Multi-Tool Rotary Platen. I have seen designs with a flat platen that tilts a certain amount. I have seen designs that have say a 2" and a 4 inch wheel that can be flipped. Some of these are just locked down with a nut or handle and could??? possibly rotate during operation which could???? be BAD NEWS. My design incorporates multiple tools on one tool bar with easy selection of available tools via an indexing plate and spring loaded tool locating and locking pin.

My design has a fixed plate that attaches to the 1 1/2" square solid aluminum bar and has holes drilled a different positions around a 360 degree arc. My design of the rotary platen tool plate will have a 4" wheel, 2" wheel, with a flat platen backing plate. It also has a small wheel attachment incorporated into the design that can accept various diameters of small contact rollers that are easily replaceable. The rotary platen can also be rotated to different positions for free belt operations and has position stops to accommodate many grinding needs. The platen also has a spring loaded locking pin to make sure that the rotary platen can't rotate once the appropriate roller or rollers are positioned to the front of the grinder. To change to a different position on the 360 degree arc you just loosen the center bolt tension, pull out the spring loaded pin and rotate and lock it to the next desired position on the 360 degree arc, retighten the center bolt nut/handle. I have been working on this idea for a month or so and I hope to cut the parts on my CNC machine by next week. To my knowledge this is the first such Multi-Tool Rotary Platen of this design. I believe it could be easily adaptable to most any DIY 2 X 72 Grinder. Just a matter of having the correct spacing to position the contact wheels so that they line up with the grinder drive wheel and idler pulley.

I have several items ordered for completion of this item and hope to have them all by next week. I will post some pictures as I progress through the machining, assembly and installation on my 2" X 72" grinder.

John

I'll be watching that keenly John, I'll have a lot more time over the next year to potentially do my own, and building a flexible sander/grinder appeals to me more than buying a bunch of single purpose tools.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Still waiting on my contact wheels from Sunray. Hopefully they will be here by the middle of the week.

Here are some pictures of my plastic mockup utilized to verify belt length and other fitting requirements.

A LITTLE PREVIEW OF THE PLASTIC MOCKUP

Still waiting on my contact wheels from Sunray. Hopefully they will be here by the middle of the week.

Here are some pictures of my plastic mockup utilized to verify belt length and other fitting requirements. The finished Rotary Platen will be made from 6061T6 Aluminum with all Heli-Coiled threads and drill bushings on main rotating parts. Please excuse all the mockup stuff but at least it will give you an idea of what the finished item will look like. The spring loaded locking pin in the photo will be utilized to lock the Rotary Platen into the indexing plate on the tool bar to position the desired contact wheel in the appropriate grinding position.

I have designed but yet cut the HEX support alignment bar that will key into the sides of the small wheel attachment to keep the outer side frame from rotating. Once complete I will trim the outer side of the small wheel attachment to allow for easier access of belt threading. It is shown in the last photo.

Here is a link to a You Tube Video that gives better detail on my design and how the Rotary Platen Indexing System works. Rotary Platen 2 X 72 Belt Grinder - YouTube

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131209_132414a.jpg