586,103 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Setup using a Siemens 840D controller

Is there someone in the San Francisco bay area with a mill that has a Siemens 840D controller? I would like to watch how a setup is done. I can work or pay for the learning experience.
    Thanks,
    Paul

It appears that this is a Deckel Maho machine from the operator panel. It would be best to contact them to see if they have a set up manual for it as it can be builder specific. It would be helpful to know if this machine has the ShopMill interface (conversational programming) which is used on many DMG machines or if it uses the standard SINUMERIK HMI called HMI Advanced. For some generic setup manuals, I would recommend looking at the online documentation here: https://www.automation.siemens.com/d...10_E&scope=all

There are some overview manuals under the Control System Overview section and also some beginnners manuals under the Info/Training section.

I assume that this is an 840D Powerline based machine based on the appearance of the operator panel. The real way to tell is to look at the drives. If they are 611U SIMODRIVES then this is a powerline system. If they are S120 SINAMICS drives then this is a Solution Line system. The HMIs will not differ much between the two but it's just helpful to know exactly what you have.

The problem is, Siemens has changed much of the hardware in the last dozen years. I have setup my S840D machine from Deckel several times in the last years. But I don't know, if the same startup procedure works for the more advanced controls like powerline.
    In my machine I have first the E/R module, then the CPU-Unit in the CPU-Box, the spindle motor inverter and than the axis inverters with control units.
    The connection between the components is a small centronics plug and a flatwire with connectors like old IDE Harddrives.

the newer generation have only RJ45 connections.

I can give you only the setup procedure for the old machine, maybe it works on the newer but maybe not.