586,036 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport series I Boss 8.1 R2E3 Imperial and Metric planetary gear Knee dial.

Bridgeport series I Boss 8.1 R2E3 Imperial and Metric planetary gear Knee dial.

Hi All

I am hoping some helpful Bridgeport owner can help me here. I have an imperial and metric machine. On the Knee crank there are two dials one that reads in metric 0-2mm and one that reads in imperial (0-100 thou). The imperial dial is driven by an Aluminium disc that is locked in place by a knurled nut. The imperial dial in-turn drives the metric dial with a planetary gear setup so you get 2 readouts. Mine does not appear to be working right. I can disengage it to set the dials to zero but I can't get them to turn with the crank handle.

Explaining what is and is not happening would take too long so I've done a video here:Bridgeport R2E3 BOSS 8.1 imperial and metric knee dials issue - YouTube

Has any one seen this set up?

How is is supposed to work? How are the disc and the imperial ring supposed to mesh? What is the internal knurling on the disc for for or is that a later addition.

Any help is welcome.

Alastair

Hi All

I have had zero response So I am assuming that this is very unique. Below are a few pics for those that dont want to watch videos.

The Whole thing together

The large dial and the disc

Large dial removed showing disc in place

Locking nut that locks the disc to the shaft. the disc then spins but it does not drive the Outer dial.

The issue is that I don't know how the large Dial attaches to the Disk to drive both dials round. I am at a loss here anyone who has seen something similar or on another Bridgeport please shout.

Alastair