586,094 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Lead screws?

Lead screws?

Hi,
    Was looking for ideas for my next cnc machine build. I wanted to build a small cnc mill using the 6 12" liner bearings, shafts and the ball screws I have. I came across the Momus and bought the plans. Wow, top notch machine and drawings.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert the machine to use my RM 1605 ballscrews on the X and Y axis?

Thanks,

Larry

1605?

16mm diameter, 5mm pitch, ie 200 steps per 5 mm?

If using them on x and y axis it's going to run a bit slower, or require higher motor rpm for the same speed. You will gain some mechanical torque due to the lower gearing of the ball drive, however you will also loose some torque depending on the inductance of the motor windings which will define how quick the torque drops as speed increases.

For the x axis you have the total length of part 4 to fit the steper motor, end bearing, and ball caridge in. The ball caridge does not need to be mounted centrally on the y gantry. If that's not enough you might need to extend the front of the machine.

Part 12 defines the same distance that you have in the y axis, plus whatever you can stick out the side over the x rails.

I'll probably end up considering something similar for my monster momus
    Ryan.

I'm going to model it in Alibre to see how it will work. There will be 10 1/2" of travel on the X and Y axis. The leadscrews will provide higher torque then direct drive but at a slower speed. I have a HobbyCNC board and 200 oz steppers. I was happy with 35 IPM jogging on my other machine so anything faster is a bonus.