586,102 active members*
2,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > having a little trouble etching glass, can anyone offer suggestions???

having a little trouble etching glass, can anyone offer suggestions???

So here is my problem.. I have a small design that I need to etch on a few hundred glasses... Now in the past when I have done this the glass has never needed to have someone go over the etching with a pick to remove the etched portion of the glass, it has always just been blown away by the laser.. Not the case with this run.. The etching looks breat, but when you rub your finger over it the glass flakes away which means that I have to go through with each glass and pick away all the little glass shards so that the etching looks even and I dont have to worry about anyone getting little glass shards stuck in there hands and what not.. Any idea what could be causing this??? Do I need to up the power?? Lower the Power?? (both of which I have tried to varying degrees)/

Im using an 80watt co2 laser by the way.

Phil

If the file attachment came through then it shows what Im talking about...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-09-08 18.48.35.jpg  

Is it possible that the laser is focused too deep into the glass just a thought?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply, That is a possibility, Ill test right now and see..

Unfortunately that was not the problem...

Too much power and heat Phil, try engraving through damp newspaper (MAKE SURE you watch the machine, paper + laser = fire)

It could also be the glass itself, if it is stressed the beam will be adding additional stresses that result in surface fractures.

I've never been a big fan of glass engraving with lasers sandblasting looks so much better

cheers

Dave

I have tried power settings from barely marking the glass on up as well as using wet paper towels and the result is pretty much the same... I guess Im going to have to go through and hand weed every single one of them :-(

I was thinking it was the glasses I was etching but I have two different types of glasses from two different manufacturers and I get the same result with both..

I dont think I will ever do glass again!

Just a thought is your air blowing hard enough

Have you tried straight detergent brushed on? I always use it and run 2 passes. The 2nd pass will usually give a more even result. Unless I want to sandblast afterwards, in which case I mask with signwriters vinyl application tape (2 passes) and lightly blast afterwards.