586,062 active members*
4,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

look what I made :)

Here's some pics of lenses that I made and the system it goes in to. It's a passive night vision system and they kindly sent me one to play with hehe. It's amazing what you can see in the dark!

PS note the proper engineer's watch strap I'm wearing- gonna patent that hehe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigLens.JPG   SmallLens.JPG   GunSight1.JPG   GunSight2.JPG  

GunSight4.JPG  
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

When can we expect to see the plans here?

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot
    .....It's a passive night vision system.......
    Truly passive? As in no batteries or outside power sources? Is it commercially available?

Soz, I meant Passive in that it requires no Active light source- it's your standard photomultiplier type system (ie light intensifier, not infrared) except that you can see through it in the visible spectrum too- everythings green. There's improved circutry to stop the tube being burned out too, I've used it in pitch blackness and broad daylight! It's powered by (beleive it or not) one AA battery.

As far as I know it's not commercially availabe- it's for some rather nice folk in a very sandy place who are killing baddies hence I made sure the lenses were perfect.

I like the engineers message board too! Very neat and organized.

wow, those look like aspheric made of b270 or some type of pyrex? Very nice!

Well spotted! one surface is an aspheric, the other a hybrid aspheric. The material is MR7 plastic which has a high (for plastic) refractive index of 1.66). I Diamond Turned them

Now i'm starting to see how my physics classes may come in handy someday I can't imagine what it took to make that... Amazing! I'd love more details as well.
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews

Thats very cool.

Very nice machining. Is that nve third generation?

:cheers:

Very sweet.

That brings back memories of making toric contact lenses. We used a variety of lathes including Hardinge, Levin, Chase, Robertson, and a CNC job called a DAC lathe to cut the spherical surfaces using diamond lathe tools. We would cut a spherical base curve into a hydrophilic blank, crimp the blank in a little Delrin jig, then grind another surface using a diamond coated brass arbor. When the crimp was released, we would have a nice football shaped aspheric surface. I believe we went up to about 6-7 diopters of cylinder once hydrated.

The blank was then mounted on another arbor for machining in an offset collet. The offset would produce a weighted lens that would orient the cylinder on the eye properly. It would then be put into a sphrical collet to cut a little edge lenticulation to reduce the edge thickness for comfort.

Mike

Are you familiar with DIFFSYS for machining optical surfaces on diamond turning/flycutting machines?

You have a great niche, I was surprised to hear it was MR7.

You can also see some invisible laser beams with these units, providing that there is some smoke or dust. Of course, the laser beam is also green.

Try to explain one of the units at an airport security counter. I was lucky. The lady knew what is was, after she took it out of my luggage and looked at it. She was not so comfortable when it showed up on the X-ray though. The one I had was built with a pistol grip.

Jerry

What is the F aperture?