586,113 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for help

We are a fabrication and research facility which means that we are not a CNC job shop. We are located in Durham, NC. I am trying to find some help but am having trouble finding competent people. I am not asking for the world. I need someone with some mechanical ability and attention to detail. It would be nice if they had some gcode knowledge. For example, I had candidates from a local CNC training school that did not understand the concept of G1, G2 and G3. I have asked previous employees "trained" at this school to generate gcode that would draw something with circles and lines such as the letter "B" or a rectangle with rounded corners and they had no clue. I have put ads Craigslist and the local papers and all I get is candidates with forklift experience. I am looking for that kid that can do a little more than change the oil in the car they drive. Does anyone know where I can find a listing of these candidates? I do not want to see "forklift" in a resume again. Thank you.

I'm not surprised with your experiences. I have 5 years experience and decided to take some classes at a community college near charlotte.
    very disappointed, the majority of teachers have no real world experience. you can easily go thru the program without really learning or
    doing any machining.

have you tried any placement companies ?? what kind of pay range?

What kind of work are you doing? Machining, Sheetmetal?

I am from Smithfield, NC. I know the instructors here at Johnston Community College and they have a really good program. They placed 14th I think in a nation wide competition last semester. I work for a small tool and die shop and I have a CNC programming side business. If I can help anyway please send me a message!!