587,076 active members*
2,915 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport series 1 MDI machine pics and questions

Hybrid View

Bridgeport series 1 MDI machine pics and questions

When I recieved these mills they came out of storage and had light suface rust on the iron.After cleaning and manually oiling and before moving any sliding parts I tried to pull the lever on the oil pump.It seems to be froze.Is this type able to be manually operated?In the pics (0005) can someone explain the three "transformers" type things?Also in that pic take notice to the "burnt board" left hand side.Is this now junk or can it be repaired?And at what cost?The pic of the rotary phase converter is what I was hoping to use to run these millsThe tag says input 230 singe phase uotput 230 3 phase.Its rated for 12 H.P.One of the mills cabinet tags says voltage 460 3 phase,does this mean just for the spindle motor?The other mill tag says 230 3 phase which my converter should be able to power?If these mills are able to run as is I would like to do it just to get the hang of things.But it may be just as easy to upgrade.Any and all opinions are welcome.Thanks Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Img_0021.jpg   IMG_0005(1).JPG   Img_0011.jpg   Img_0023.jpg  

Img_0030.jpg  

support and spare part are very hard to find on bridgeport cnc as nolong made upgrade may be your best route also if oiler will not go down line my have some dried up crap in it open line a handle see if unit works before ripping apart

The way oiler uses a cam that the plunger ride up on and falls off about every 20 minutes when the spindle is enabled. If it is on the top of the cam, it has almost no room to move. But yes, it can be used manually by pulling up on the plunger.
    The transformers terminals should be labeled. You need a schematic as to which wires feed it and which are the output. Typically these machines used "auto-transformers."They had only one winding with multiple taps.
    The board you are showing is a BOSCH axis drive board. Not even BOSCH in Germany fixes them. EMI does not have a replacement.
    A 460 volt machine means that the spindle motor and those transformers were all set up for 460 volts. The motor is easy to convert, so are the transformers. It is just a matter of moving wires.
    If you use a phase converter, I would suggest you rewire the machine so the 2 good phases go to the transformers and control. The wild leg should only go to the spindle motor.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Lots of good info there thanks George.