586,103 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: G540 control

G540 control

I'm wondering if anyone can help with a issue I'm having when starting my controller. I have a g540 control running it with mach3 I get axis shuttering on all axis when I do moves in any direction on startup ,if I jog the axis around for a couple of minutes it runs fine without any issues, I think it may be some sort of noise issue but not sure why it only happens on startup,any help would be appreciated thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny1978 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone can help with a issue I'm having when starting my controller. I have a g540 control running it with mach3 I get axis shuttering on all axis when I do moves in any direction on startup ,if I jog the axis around for a couple of minutes it runs fine without any issues, I think it may be some sort of noise issue but not sure why it only happens on startup,any help would be appreciated thanks.
    Check you power supplies. It is one of the first things I do when working on controls issues. This includes making sure everything is tight or properly terminated.

Then look at your control wiring between the G540 and the computer.

There is alway the possibility that something is flakey in the G540 and that warming up the unit clears the issue. If that is the case the unit should go back to Gecko. I have to wonder if the problem is still there at startup if the unit has been on awhile and then the power cycled? If it comes back even after the unit has been warmed up it might not be the G540.

Or it could be, these things can be frustrating to deal with at times. I would imagine the G540 has some sort of charge pump to keep the unit disabled until everything stabilizes after power up. If you are running from a laptop or a computer based on laptop chips, the parallel port might not have enough current to charge up that safety circuit and thus may be causing it to oscillate a bit when powered on. In this regard I'd have to wonder if your motor issues last seconds or minutes.

Thanks for the reply wizard,so far I have only had an issue on startup it usually lasts for about 30 to 60 seconds then everything seems to smooth out. The last time I ran the machine was on a 3d rose,it cut it perfect over a 4 hour time period no little hiccups along the way. I will try and run the machine for awhile then try shutting it down and restarting it and see what it does. Thanks .Danny