586,082 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Fillet Edge issues

Fillet Edge issues

Hey everyone. I'm trying to put a .5" fillet on a stratocaster model and it is seemingly halfway working. The command runs, but the solid isn't trimmed and joined even though the options are selected. I can see the filleted edge but the original square edge is still there, and I can't use the new rounded edge to split the old surface (I guess for the same reason it can't trim and join when I originally run it)..

Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by JMBush01 View Post
    Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?
    It's going to be hard to address anything with just a description of what your seeing. If you can post a file it would help. Filleting IS one of the more tricky areas.

I tried, I'm getting an "invalid file" message when I try to upload the .3dm..?

I found 1 bad surface with ExtractBadSrf, deleted and rebuilt, but it didn't help..

I found 1 bad surface with ExtractBadSrf, deleted and rebuilt, but it didn't help..

You can zip the 3dm file. right click and send to-compressed zip to attach it here.

K, thanks!

Anyone have a look at the file? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JMBush01 View Post
    Anyone have a look at the file? Thoughts?
    Hey JM, Was out all day.
    Got a look at it this evening and spent some time cleaning a few things up, then setting up a filletable solid. The BIGGEST issue is the original construction, most likely the curves in there you used for whatever command, has pretty poor heometry, and more complex things, like fillets, will tend to start getting buggard up.

There's also a few more minor things to pay attention to, about "how to make the initial shape, to give fillets a hope.

In this file, I rebuilt the solid. Then setup a cutting curve to get a better cut in the armrest radius area, and also left some parts out, up by the neck attachment area. You would add/cut these after.

So, boolean diff the body with the large arc surface. Then you can fillet the body edge at .5 (Leave out the neck entry, flat curve from the selection).

Notes for the file would be:

Be sure to run rebuilding commands on curves like this to get nice, equal geometry to create your surfaces and solids

Position the part so you can work in direct axis for areas of difficulty (You can do this with cplanes too, but we only had one area on the guitar, so I aligned it to illustrate what I mean. The armrest area.)

There was more than just one single thing to point you at and say "this is it", so I just post the model. If you want to get into pics and videos, we can do that, but it will take some time for us to go back and forth with it.... Up to you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's a quick video:

strat fillet - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hey JM, Was out all day.
    Got a look at it this evening and spent some time cleaning a few things up, then setting up a filletable solid. The BIGGEST issue is the original construction, most likely the curves in there you used for whatever command, has pretty poor heometry, and more complex things, like fillets, will tend to start getting buggard up.

There's also a few more minor things to pay attention to, about "how to make the initial shape, to give fillets a hope.

In this file, I rebuilt the solid. Then setup a cutting curve to get a better cut in the armrest radius area, and also left some parts out, up by the neck attachment area. You would add/cut these after.

So, boolean diff the body with the large arc surface. Then you can fillet the body edge at .5 (Leave out the neck entry, flat curve from the selection).

Notes for the file would be:

Be sure to run rebuilding commands on curves like this to get nice, equal geometry to create your surfaces and solids

Position the part so you can work in direct axis for areas of difficulty (You can do this with cplanes too, but we only had one area on the guitar, so I aligned it to illustrate what I mean. The armrest area.)

There was more than just one single thing to point you at and say "this is it", so I just post the model. If you want to get into pics and videos, we can do that, but it will take some time for us to go back and forth with it.... Up to you.
    Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to make the video! Could you go into a bit more detail on what you mean by "poor geometry" and how to make sure the geometry I'm making is good?

I imported the curves from a PDF and they are supposed to be straight from the Fender blueprints. Everything must stay pretty much exactly the same so that the neck pocket is a snug fit and so the pickguard and whatever else fits right.

Basically, how do I rebuild the curves to make them more useable in rhino while retaining the shape to a relatively low tolerance/high degree of accuracy?

Here is what I did:
    -imported the curves, which seem to come in nicely (large pieces, not tiny little pieces like sometimes happens when importing PDFs)
    -constructed the new curves I needed using copies and splits on the originals
    -extruded the outline to solid
    -extruded the cavities to solid and used them to boolean out of main body solid

Is this generally good technique? This model (or one based on this PDF, anyway) will be used on my CNC, but I care more about learning good technique so that I can prevent or at least work around these kinds of things in the future.

I'll attach the PDF so you can see what I'm starting with..