586,102 active members*
2,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How to tell what cutters go with what?
Page 1 of 2 12

How to tell what cutters go with what?

Ok I was wondering how do you tell what spindle holder that this type of cutter goes to( this is just an example) http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2957
    H2957 Dovetail Cutter 3/4" x 60° I mean is it an r8,mt2,3,4 ETC...?

you answer faster than i can type

There is no taper on the shaft so it could go in a collet but the flat on the shaft makes it look like it should go into an end mill holder which will take a 3/4" shank for an R8, ER32, drill chuck on a lathe, etc..

not a lathe this is a mill tool it spins and more than one cutting edge not used in drill chuck(could be but only as last choice)

was 3/4 the 60 deg dia.? or shank

Cool

H2957 Dovetail Cutter 3/4" x 60°

As listed, the 3/4" indicates the diameter of the cutters shank, 60° is the angle of the cutter.

A cutter like this would best be held in a solid tool holded, these come in many types, but R8 is the standard for most manual milling machines today.

A 3/4" R8 spring collet will work, but you risk the cutter moving in the spindle and damaging the depth at which you are trying to cut. Solid tool holders have a set screw that fits in the flat on the cutter's shank, this is much stronger and dependable.

I hope this answers your question.
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

the flat is for set screw in mill holder R-8 CAT-40 BT-35 CAT-50 there are many type of mill hoders your MT holders (taper outside) a used in tail stock on lathes

I give up trying to read that page with my eyesight

Actually the shank is 3/8 and the cutter length is 3/4, the reason I put this post up was I have a source tons of cutters but the source and me do not know what cutters go to what. I have seen some cutters that resemble the Grizzly link and I,m just trying to figure out if I decide to purchase an x3 if I need to get cutters also or if I can just run down to my source and use some cutters they have.

Any strait shancked tool could be held in R8 collets.Up to 7/8 dia.I think that the biggest made.But I prefer endmill holders.R8 collets will get you by thought.

you can get R-8 holders up to 1 1/4 dia

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    not a lathe this is a mill tool it spins and more than one cutting edge not used in drill chuck(could be but only as last choice)
    A tool is a tool. He asked what it COULD be used for. I can figure out how to use this on a lathe, can't you? Stationary in the tailstock and in a live tooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoney
    A tool is a tool. He asked what it COULD be used for. I can figure out how to use this on a lathe, can't you? Stationary in the tailstock and in a live tooling system.
    stationary in a tail stock(why)? live tooling it would be a mill application correct not a turning application

you only use tools for the perpose they are ment for unless it a last options. Only a hack or a beginer tries this, as it not only unsafe but stupid to use a tool of any kind for something it's not ment for!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    you only use tools for the perpose they are ment for unless it a last options. Only a hack or a beginer tries this, as it not only unsafe but stupid to use a tool of any kind for something it's not ment for!!
    Unless it [sic] a last options [sic]? So I guess you CAN use a tool for something other than it's original purpose. Finding new uses for current tool inventory can save money even if you are not a hack or beginer [sic]. Let's hope some of us are smart enough to know when to use a tool for another purpose. A mind and a tool is a terrible thing to waste.

if you use a dove tail cutter in a tail stock your mind is wasted already! put the crack pipe down

Another genius. It is amazing to me how many geniuses there are on this website. You can't do this, you have to be stupid if you do that ... You and the other geniuses deny that there could be anything possible in this world they don't already know about. You've seen it all. You can tell instantly if something is possible and when someone disagrees, it's time for the personal attacks. Those who disagrees with you are obviously on crack. I think you must be young. It is usually the young who can state with absolute certainty what can or should be done. Older people, who have seen things they never would have imagined, usually keep an open mind. There are things in this world that you will never perceive if you keep your mind closed to it. Anyone who says categorically that there could never be any reason to use a dovetail cutter in a tailstock has limited his world.

tell me Kdoney why would you use a dovetail cutter in a tail stock. Can you answer this?

Perhaps to remove metal from a workpiece. A power tailstock with a mounted dovetail cutter, offset to some degree, is extended to meet a spinning workpiece. Result, metal removal.

or perhaps in this machine

http://www.triturn.com/toolzone/index.htm

or in this tailstock

http://www.cadillacmachinery.com/cgi...ke.pl?hobbing=

Gee, I guess I am willing to say I don't know many ways but I believe there is certainly at least one way.

very good but those are power tail stock for that intend perpose that not a stander application that called live tooling as you know this thread is about someone looking for advise on basic machining not advanced application correct and when you mix advance aplication with basic machining it will miss leed people as you know with a stander tail stock the use of rotaote type tool are not recomended becase of the relief on tool and the # of cutting edges it not wise to use this type of tool unless it your only chose as i have stated do you agree Kdoney

Page 1 of 2 12