586,121 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > 3 axis planar finishing problem

3 axis planar finishing problem

I'm on the latest 5.0 build and have encountered a planar finishing problem. When using .375" ball or smaller the toolpath generates correctly. When using a .5" or larger ball mill it skips a progressively larger area from toolpathing. Below are screen shots of .375", .5" and .625" toolpaths. I have also attached the file.

Attachment 199978

Attachment 199980

Attachment 199982

Hmmm... This is interesting. If you raise the box top slightly, it doesn't make a difference. If you raise it the radius of the tool or more, it works correctly. You can then drop it back where it was originally and it will work correctly. I tested with a Ø12mm ballnose, so I raised the box top 6mm. It worked correctly. I then moved it -6mm and it still worked right. This isn't a solution, only a workaround. There does seem to be something not quite right here. I will ask Joakim to test this himself (with your file).

Thanks,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ahhh cool. I tried raising the box top but not by the exact radius of the tool. This worked for me too!

Thanks for the workaround, it will allow me to finish the rest of these a bit faster than the first batch I had to do with a .375" diameter tool!

Jean

I did get the same result. I know there are some changes made lately and this might have caused this.

This is caused by a change in the clipping planes (even though you don't use them they are acting in the background). It seems that the automatic adjustment for your ball mill is not triggered code wise. A tool path is always in the center of the cutter and when using a ball mill the tool center is in the radius mid, if the ball is a radius 0.5" the tool path is 0.25" up from the surface. The top restriction should be lifted to at least 0.25" to get it working and now when it doesn't adjust by itself you can do it by increasing the work box just like you and Dan tried.
    When using a flat mill it works though. The tool path center is at the edge of the cutter.

This should be fixed in the next service release.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: 3 axis planar finishing problem

Hi there,

I am having the same problem, but worse. I am getting the error: check clipping planes even when there are massive clearances. I even double check the clearances and see that they are correct, but still get error messages. I have used this software more than a little, and cannot see what other options it could be. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-BP

Re: 3 axis planar finishing problem

OK, after too much time messing with it, I was able ot get it to work by moving the region curve into the clipping planes. Not sure if this is always the case, but it seemed to work this time. CHeers!