586,094 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Impact 15 with OSP700L will not move in Manual mode

Okuma Impact 15 with OSP700L will not move in Manual mode

Hi We have an OSP700L Impact 15 2SC-600 that we recently purchased. It was previously a production machine in a Chrysler plant.

We have gotten all the initial faults taken care of and there is no faults displayed. It is in Manual mode but the A and B turrets the tool changers and the chuck will not move in manual.
    We can in manual open/close the door and move the tailstock (hydraulic extend/retract).

The lathe will run an auto cycle and we can move both turrets and tool changers in MDI mode.

Does anyone have any Ideas what may be causing our lack of manual control?

Are there any M codes that can lock out manual?

Any settings in the setup screens?

Pleas let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

Check if there any interlock in manual mode ?

Did this thing have a loader on it previously?

Door interlock key may be ON?!

We've tried it with the door open and closed. Someone said it had to be less than 30% with the door open. That didn't help.
    I don't know if there was a loader/unloader, their wasn't anything on the prints, but it does run a cutting cycle in auto.

I have no manual but I do have prints. Didn't see any interlock.

Thanks.
    Kevin

It should be on the front operator panel and requires a key to turn it off. NO movement will occur with the door open and the interlock ON.

Thank you Lawyers....

Would also recommend checking that the I/Os are changing when you press the buttons. I'd be curious if a button didn't get mashed giving continuous jog commands or the arrows didn't get disconnected to prevent manual movement. If you can see the I/Os changing, that's at least one thing off the list.
    Does any alarm come up?
    Pulse handle as well?

We've tried it with the door open and closed
    did you noted, that "door close" condition is satisfied only when door is locked also? Do you have "door lock" push button with light on the machine control panel?
    you can try as follows:
    1. make stable interlock conditions: interlock key position, door status, door lock status
    2. MDI mode. command G00 G91 Z20, <write>, start
    3. What happens?
    - Axis moves vithout any alarm: then you must be able to move the axis in manual mode also
    - no movement, alarm says "axis intelock bla bla ... " what exactly?
    - move with warning: "safety speed limit ... " what exactly?

Posted before but it didn't take...

Ok based on your statements, the Door interlock is not an issue. Did you have any feedback for us on Tea Hole's I/O suggestions?
    Are there any SYSTEM Variable statements such as VPVLZ in your program? Are the Variable Limits being set in the program so that you can not move once finished? Check your Variable limits to see your travel range and watch them when you run to see if they are changing.

Best regards,

Well Guys thanks for the responses.

We finally got this thing to move in manual!!!

This was previously a production machine and had no chuck but a dedicated headstock drive plate.
    Our maintenance guy had installed a hydraulic chuck and found that he could not open close the chuck in manual. The tailstock would move in manual but not the chuck.
    On further investigation it looks like the previous owners had removed the 24v solenoid coil from the hydraulic chuck so that it could never be moved (change position) in manual. We had contacted our local rep for a replacement coil and found out that the Nachi valve/coil was obsolete. The replacement valve would be around $1800.
    Our rep said he may have some old valves laying around but after trying to get more info from him for a few weeks I found a suitable replacement valve/coil on e-bay for around $80.
    A few days later (the e-bay seller was in our same state) we put the used coil onto our valve and cycled the chuck open/closed. After we did that all the manual functions worked.
    So it must have had some kind of interlock with the chuck position sensors. Although no fault or messages were generated it was keeping us from going into manual. I don't know how we would have ever tracked this one down.

Oh by the way we could move everything in MDI mode before this discovery just not in manual.

This had several service guys stumped. They were claiming bad boards/cards.

This is our first Okuma. I hope it is not always this difficult to figure out its problems.

Thanks again.

Kevin