586,094 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trouble running g-code

I am working on a CNC Tormach. Every time I set my zeros on the 3 axis machine, then try to do a test run of my gcode, the spindle starts and moves about three inches then prompts me to reset. I know this can probably be hundreds of things, but does anyone have any tips? I am setting my x and y to the top left hand corner of my work using an engraving bit and the z is set to the top of the vice with work removed.

Hi,

very little information - but if it requests a reset maybe you're having trouble with electrical interferences???
    Is everything wired and grounded properly? Cables not unnecessary long?

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

Post your code, and provide as much more specific detail as possible. What's your level of CNC/Tormach experience? (I ask because you have posted here only a few times, but recognize that you may have a half-century of experience!)

Also: are you hitting one of the limit switches? That is, are you moving outside the machine envelope? Not clear which axis is moving from your note, but you could simply be close to a limit. Take a look at the max excursions screen, and be sure your table/head are positioned so that you don't hit a limit switch when you run the code. May require resetting your zero.

Quote Originally Posted by JessinaDress View Post
    I am working on a CNC Tormach. Every time I set my zeros on the 3 axis machine, then try to do a test run of my gcode, the spindle starts and moves about three inches then prompts me to reset.
    It sounds like you could be tripping the upper Z-axis limit switch during your tool change operation. Does that make any sense?

Mike