586,119 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machining Time

Hello!

Does someone know a program which takes an existing nc-file as input for calculating the required machining time?

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Hello, I'd imagine most control programs do. In my case, after Mach2 is setup and the motors tuned, an accelerated simulation mode runs through the code and tells me approx run time at the end. Pretty handy to know if you can grab lunch while the machine cranks away.

Welcome to the forum.

JR

On Mach that usually takes about 10% of the actual machining time right?? [ I think I got that off a Mach 'How To' video]

10% could amount to a fair amount of time for some bigger job's [ I'm planning to be doing jobs in the 10's of hours ] 10% of a 30hr job would be 3 hrs just to find out how long it takes to do it... Kinda dog chasing his tail eh?

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Guess that where you have to use experience, the removal rate and the amount to be removed to estimate....

...10% of a 30hr job would be 3 hrs...
    I hear you on that. But, if you know your job runs for 30 hours, well, you already know then. I guess the estimation serves a purpose (like knowing when you can take a break) but it doesn't work for extreme cases like described above.

JR

I don't know that they will be 30 hr's I'm guessing using some pretty simple math. I think that my CAM program has a time estimater on it, which might be a bit faster [ and less accurate due to not calculating accel times]. I plan to do 'lights out' machining so I just want to know what time I have to come back and check the machine. I plan on setting up a webcam to be remote accessed, however this is sometime down the road once I get comfortable w/ the system.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I know some verify softwares can "backplot" an NC program (yes the g code...) and give an approximation of cycle times. Check into Verisurf, Cimco, MetaCut, etc. But they are pricey. Most CAD systems can calculate cycle as well if you set up the parameters correctly. There may be other, cheaper versions as well. Maybe even freeware.... I just don't know of any...
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

CncSimulator calculates the time and is sort of free.

www.cncsimulator.com

One of the software packages that I use for 2 1/2 axis is called PowerStation pro/plus they have a simple program call NC analyzer here a link also this software can do just about anything the DIY needs and has DNC to
    http://www.microcimm.com/ncca.htm

TurboCNC does the dry-verify time estimation as well - handy for making small tweaks to the g-code and seeing if it really saves any time.

You might want to ask Art if he can roll you a "special" that has a faster estimator if you're using Mach... I imagine he'd just disable a few things to make it faster.

The control really needs to do this, as the time for machining is heavily dependent on acceleration and things that only the control knows. CAD/CAM can add up all the lines in the toolpath and figure 1000" of length at 10ipm is 100 minutes, but the control would get something like 107.74 minutes for accel and rapids; that kind of thing. Sometimes it matters...