586,076 active members*
3,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

POSSIBLE SERVO AMPLIFIER ISSUES

Hi all,

I want help in troubleshooting my VMC 750. It's I/O link cable got eaten by rats and thus it was changed. since then, the machine has failed to receive commands issued at the MEMORY, MDI, REFERENCE, JOG and Hand wheel modes ( it seems all motions or components that have to do with the servo amplifier dont respond to these movement commands). The controller on the machine is a Fanuc Oi-Mate MC.

I still reference the tool magazine and the coolant pump still works but not the spindle or axes motors.
    My technicians think it is the servo amplifier problem. I am suspecting a software program as no alarm is displayed yet motion is impossible. the machine is a chinese product but relatively unused so far.

You can ask me more penetrating questions on the matter and I will reply. Thanks

I would look more at interlocks, since those will be tied in to your I/O. What do the displays show on the drive unit themselves? Are they Alpha series drives?

Thanks a million underthetire, you have been of help before and now again. Truly grateful.
    the issue is thatb I am an mechanical engineer and not an electrical personnel. So kindly break it down for me.
    By drive unit , do you mean the servo motors or the servo amplifier itself? The servo amplifier and motors are all beta drives. Where would their displays be please. I need this seriously.
    I used the PMC DIAGNOSTICS and we found that that the address (G0130) has, in the first bit,(0), second bit,(0), and third, (0). But in a properly working VMC, of same type and make, these bit values were (1), (1), and (1). The values all had to do with interlocks .
    what do i do to probe further and solve the issue?

You need to dive further in to the ladder and see where the g inputs are actually coming from. The servo drive units should have an led display window on them, but with your g inputs low, I'm guessing they just have 2 dashes (not ready). Things like door switches, emergency stop circuit problem etc will cause that.