586,055 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > How Many Machines are you running at work

View Poll Results: How many Cnc machine do you run at a time

Voters
388. You may not vote on this poll

108 27.84%

101 26.03%
  • 3 or more

121 31.19%
  • Way to many

58 14.95%
Page 1 of 3 123

How Many Machines are you running at work

I guess the company is tring to compete by having us run more and more machines at once.
    Sometime up to 4 machine centers at one time, boy its hard to measure the parts, running this much stuff a day
    thanks Brad
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

15 cnc's 24/7 for the last 8 years.....
    14 more coming before january is done.....
    4 millwrights 2 electricians
    I don't need a gym membership, I jog from breakdown to breakdown......
    menomana

I'm not production, I'm maintenance.

2 Maintenance techs per shift.....1 Machine.

Oh.....This machine is a quarter mile long, four stories high, a hundred feet wide, and takes twelve production people to run it.

My life long dream as a Maintenance man is to work in a comletely automated mill.....No production people.....No opperators.....Just one great big green start button and a whole lot of maintenance men :stickpoke
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

Millman, 4 machines running isnt too bad, I'm alone for about 4 hours everymorning with 5 cncs. I don't just run them in the morning, I set them up and program them also, now that is abuse. Try setting up 2 machines at the same time, while running 3 others, add in a bandsaw and some paperwork and invoicing, and by 9am when I get an employee or two(two is a good day), I'm toast.

Usually just 1-2 machines for me.

Angry fools i tell you

One multitasking Mori Lathe....If they don't like it they can kiss my butt goodbye.....I am a job shop machinist...not production operator....The owner doesn't know a thing about these machines...neither does anyone else at our shop....If they can FIND someone to replace me...bring them on..I'll sit at home all day and do Ebay...While my machine is running I sit and read and smoke all day...I've been working in Machine shops since 1975...Programming since 1982...all Job shops...anyone who runs more than one machine is a fool.....Find another place...compete my butt...greed is their first and middle names....All the small job shops should start a Union...If the owners don't like it they can close and open a McDonalds..Then see what kind of workers they will have.

Forum Rules:

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post.
    Wayne Hill

1 engraving/milling machine (Mecanumeric Mf 1525) , perhaps another one more until January.Sorry if my english's not very good...

Mattmachinist,

Sounds like you need to become an entrepeneur. If you can run more than one at a time, you surely would. So does your boss also think. What do you think he buys you your toys with?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

used to set up, program run 4 lathes at once....thats when I was young and stupid.
    I get paid more running one now

Sometimes two machines but usually just one. We have VMC that we use making one off stuff and machine times are short. Then we have an older mill that we use in production machining and I operate it when I have enough time.

I use non at work. It's missing the "0" in the poll field. It would be interesting to see how many professionals and amateurs here are at cnczone.
    /jan

1 Single Point Diamond Turning Lathe, there are two in my lab, but there's absolutely no way you can run two at the same time. There's only me that does this here. I get a drawing from some fool "designer" (last one I got rquired a tool with a 0.5mm shank lol no WAY!), order raw material, programme the machine (aspheric lenses) do some big sums- tell the machine to do somethign else (which it invaribly ignores lol) then make some more corrections, then clean inspect and package, do the inspection report then collapse. I live on ciggaretes and coffee hehe!

Oh! I do quotes too and my customers are always screaming 1 day after they place the Purchase Order.

By 5 pm my brain is fried.

Still that's why they call it work hehe
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I need the "0" option. All hobby for me.

I run 2 lathes, progam and setup and run them. I also help with any issue they have in the mill department concerning Mastercam. They use an old program called Image also because the primary mill guy sucks at mastercam. Some of the harder parts I program with mastercam.

The number of machines someone is able to run can change a lot depending on the material being machined and how it's programmed. The department I work in runs mostly 316. I've run a couple of jobs with 303 or brass. With 303 or brass you can almost set it and forget it. As for the programming, it depends on what the shop is looking for. You can crank up the feeds and speeds to get a part off quicker but have to pay more attention to the tools. On the other hand, you can slow them down and run them all day and need to pay less attention to one machine, leaving more time for another machine.

2 cnc lathes... 1988 Hitachi turn 20 SII and a 1997 Hitachi 23J
    1 cnc mill... 1993 Matsuura RA IIF

I Program/setup/run them

And i love it!!!

Talking 1 Mill

I Set-up, Program, and operate one HAAS VF-3. When I was young and stupid I Set-up, Programmed and Operated two Lathes and one Mill. The Lathes where a Dainichi BX45 Slant Bed 10 inch Chuck (Fanuc 10T), Ikegai FX25 10 inch Chuck (Fanuc 6T), and a Matsuura SV1000 CAT40 (Yasnac MX2). Now that I'm smarter, I do it all for one machine for more money. Before that a 6 axis Tsugami B012E II Panther (Fanuc 1LE) Swiss Screw CNC, two Lathes (Mazak), and a Hitachi Seiki (Fanuc 6M). Why is it that some people think they can get blood from a rock, for too long? Just a matter of time, 2years max.

tobyaxis :cheers:

Primarly only one machining centre at a time. That is, setup, program, and do the job. Mostly short series, 2 - 100 parts. If each part takes a long time to produce, i might be asked to run another machine, mostly just feeding it. Often ask to look after the automatic saw as well.

Currently 0 but 3 envisioned for the future.

Page 1 of 3 123