586,055 active members*
4,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 11m OT008 -y axis over travel alarm

Fanuc 11m OT008 -y axis over travel alarm

Long time reader, first time poster. So far my questions have been answered by other posts - Thanks!

However...... Had a brownout while working on a Shizuoka B7v mill with a Fanuc 11m controller. Pre-brownout everything was fine, post-brownout the machine came back on with a OT008 over travel alarm. At the ill fated moment in time the y axis was not near the -y axis over travel switch. I have checked the switch, wiring, power, and the ID32D module and everything seems normal. I have not yet checked the ladder to see what the controller thinks is happening. I did read about the Cancel/P combination, but I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it does not apply to a hard over travel limit. Please let me know otherwise. Things to note: I can still drive in the +y axis direction (at least until I hit the hard +y axis over travel switch) but not in the -y direction (the 2nd release doesn't help), x and z operate normally. Thoughts?

Also, does any one out there have a 11m parameters manual they could send me a copy of? A pdf copy would be great. I have the maintenance and operators manuals.

Thanks,

Charles

for over travel:
    Turn off your machine, then press and hold p and can button together and turn on the machine untill machine is fully on. Then try for reference. Problem will solve.

Well, problems not withstanding I bought the farm, well, mill....
    Attachment 203348
    I finally got the machine powered up and turned on. Unfortunately, the P/Cancel trick did not work. I did some additional digging while watching the plc ladder and found this:
    Attachment 203350
    Sorry about the poor picture quality - the camera isn't the best at taking pictures at night. The bottom rung appears to be the -Y overtravel. Over on the left side of the rung is -LY which is the physical limit switch and it is making connection as the lines to the right of it are lit up. The -LY switch is working as the line lights up and dims as I toggle the -Y axis over limit switch. The logic is broken by the -LY2, PB-Y2S, YLS-2 portion. Anyone have any thoughts on how to reset this? I haven't yet determined if -LY2 is a physical switch or a parameter.
    Thanks again for the help.

Btdt, Shizuoka on a lot of there machines used a dropping resistor. The resistor is located on the terminal strip in the cabinet that the Y switch attaches to. Look behind the spade terminals, it's only a 1/8 watt or so. Check that before you go mad, had 3 Shizuoka service techs back in the yamazen days try to find the same thing your getting. I finally went down there and a trip to radio shack and back in business.

underthetire... Thanks! I'll take a look at that tonight after I get off work. 2 questions for you.
    1) What caused the error to appear in your machine?
    2) Dropping resistor? aka a pulldown resistor?

I don't know whatever actually caused it, was at a customers shop. Found the resistor broken, not burned. And yes, pull down.

Alas, no luck. I can't find any pull down resistors anywhere on the terminal blocks. I have a friend with a B10v and as I looked through his wiring diagrams I notice 2 things - one: his machine uses the same ID64D IO board and two: it also uses the -LY2 switch. I check tomorrow to see if Shizuoka tied that line off to power in the relay/cable block or if it is really not used.

Update: I know there is likely a parameter fix to this, but until I figure that out.... here is a hardware fix (at least for a Shizuoka B7v). The -LY2 is not used at all in the machine, but it is part of the loop blocking -Y axis movement and maintaining the fault. Solution: the -LY2 relay is connected to pin 34 in the C20B Honda connector on the ID64D module. I popped the connector apart and piggy back soldered another wire into the terminal. I then hooked the wire's other end up to the -Y axis limit switch and I was in business. As tight as the breakout board is the machine, the connector was the easiest way to go.