586,071 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drives not on, Failed to home

We have a 1993 EZ Trak SX that had a motherboard problem, would not boot. I found an old MB with ISA slot and 133mhz processor. Now I can boot up but when I try to home I get this error; Drives not on, Failed to home. When I first turn on the machine the LED's on both servo control boards are on. On the BMDC2 board there are two LED's on the outer edge towards the end, they are both on. After booting those two go out and another, located near the socket flashes.

Hallo

I do have the same problem with my 1995 Ez Trak DX, I did also replace the motherboard, the boot up is working normal, but when i normaly get the message ot home i get nothing, when i try to make a move i get a error "power on failed". at boot up the two red led's are on after that sometimes one and somtimes both go out.
    i checked al the elektrical connections but i did not get the machine working .

Did you find out what is the problem?

If i know something more i will let you know!!

John

We never could find a solution. Looked into a Mesa 5i25/7i77 conversion but the servo motors are the wrong type. I think they are 100 volts. In any case I did a lot of research and we bought three stepper motors, controllers and a serial breakout board. Evntually I plan to strip out the entire contents of the control box, install a PC with a 2 GHZ processer and run LINUXCNC. We bought a small VFD which I plan to connect to the motor and remove the variabe pitch pully that makes a horrendous noise right now. I have a lengthy experience with VFD's from my past. Our shop has three Mazak Nexus 510's, the bridgeport is kept for odd size jobs that can't go in a Mazak. I have designed a motor bracket, yet to machine it, to add a Z axis control. I suppose that we are one of the shops that are blesssed right now as I am too busy making customer parts and don't have time to play with the BP. When it is all done I will put up some pics.

I tried to post a reply but something seems to have gone wrong. Maybe just a time delay so excuse if this comes up twice. We could not solve our problem. I looked in to other alternatives, possibly Mesa 5i25/7i77 conversion but the servo motors are the wrong type. We bought three stepper motors, controllers and a serial breakout board with which I plan to replace all of the controls in the existing cabinet. Will add a Z axis control. Replacing the variable pitch pully with a VFD on the spindle motor. The plan is to run LinuxCNC when done.