586,069 active members*
3,730 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Raiding photocopiers for steppers
Page 3 of 8 12345
    you even have a leeetle ballscrew in there!!

The ballscrew has a good 5 to 6 inches of travel and it's a ground one.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

There is a beam coupler as well, zero backlash on those babies.
    What are the specs on the larger stepper with the encoder.
    I see lots of aluminium.

Jason

any info on HP deskjet 4? I may be able to get 2 of em soon.

Not sure about the deskjet 4 but the laserjet II,III series carried a 100oz/inch stepper.

Jason

You probably don't want to use the motors from an HP LaserJet 4/4M/4+/5, etc. series. They are those funky lookin' ones similar to those Jason has in his post #24.
    HP LaserJet IIISi & 4Si motors are similar, too.

Here's a few links to current eBay auctions that have a clear picture of the motor:

HP LaserJet 4 Motor Auction w/Picture

Another HPLJ-4 Motor Auction

This shows an HPLJ-5 Motor

Picture of HPLJ-IIISi/4Si Motor & Drive Gear Assembly

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Hay Tay,

Those HP 4 and 5 motors aren't they more of a brushless motor than a stepper motor.

Jason Marsha,

Yes there is a lot of aluminum there and just think that I was going to scrap it out before I found out just what was in the unit. As for the specs on the motors, the encoder mounting plates are covering up the tags. I don't know yet if I want to pull the encoders off yet, decisions, decisions.... The y and z motors are a NEMA 17 and the x is a NEMA 23 size. I did some calculations on the x motor, it is attached to a 2" diameter XL pulley, at 200 steps that gives me .020" per step. That is a little too big for my liking. My past scrounging has turned up several .9 degree Vexta steppers of the same size (NEMA 23) which I may replace the original one along with reducing the size of the drive pulley to get a better resolution.

Heck, if I could scrounge up a 25 watt or larger laser and power supply I wouldn't need to up grade the motors to a larger size. I could only be so lucky. New ones are a bit out of my budget.

that's what these canon copiers had in them too. so stick to II and III then.

Get the skate bearings from inside those motors before discarding them.

Jason

Jason, and others, take a look the PCB's. Specifically the ones used to drive the stepper motors. A lot of them use the Sanken/Allegro SLA70xxM family of driver chips. The SLA7062M chips, if you can find them, are the same ones that are used on the 3-4 axis unipolar driver board kits from HobbyCNC.com, the discontinued 3-4 axis XS4430U/16S-4 kit from Xylotex.com, and the single axis kit from LNS Technologies. It's great if you can stockpile a couple of extras in the event of a catasrophic failure at 2 AM on a Saturday with either board.

Or you can use them in a driver board of your own design. Maybe a MPG-Driver board to be used as a unipolar stepper motor testing station? It would be an easy way to test all of those stepper motors pulled from HP LaserJet II/III/IID/IIID printers and the copiers you're field stripping.

FYI,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Welcome to my forum.

Hi,
    Welcome to my forum to discuss about electric motors.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Stevenmotors/
    Steven

Thanks for the info Harry. I will take a closer look at the chips.

Jason

I grabbed a couple of Sharp copiers that were 35 page per minute machines. One was 1994 and the other 1993. Slightly different front panel but the insides were identical. Interesting but not much of real use. The ADF had a pair of servos with 3 wire optical encoders. The specs worked out to about 30 oz/in if I remember correctly. The main motor was an open armature stepper at about 40 oz/in. A smaller similar open armature motor and several very small steppers (similar to a floppy disk drive).

Brian

I remember CNCDarren stripping some sharp copiers for 116 oz/inch motors may have been newer copiers though.

Jason

What to drive with?

Hi Jason and all of you out there!

I have almost finished the building om my first router. I use Geckodrives G202 to drive the motors and I think they get extremly hot, about 50degrees C (122 degrees F) or more, after about 6-8 minutes of working. The ambient temparature in my room is 25degr C (77 degr F). The feedrate is about 0.87inch per minute and current is set to 300mA at 50V.

My question is if this is normal or not. Is the G202 suitable for this kind of stepper size or are the steppers too small (thinking about iron and copper loss or what they call it). should I get some lower voltage or raise it? Or is there anything else that I have missed as a beginner?

Thanks in advance!

Per
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-axis motor_2.JPG   Router overwiew_2.JPG  

Went "copier shopping" today and had some luck. Grabbed the ADF figuring it had at least one DC PM motor. Opened up the back of the machine and pulled 3 medium sized 6 wire steppers and one double stack 5 phase. When I got home and pulled the ADF apart and there were 3 more medium sized 6 wire motors. This time I also pulled the boards with the driver chips on them.

What make and model was it? I think it would be helpful if we could start compiling a list of known "gold mines" to keep our eyes open for. Ideally, some stats for the actual steppers would be great as well (eg bipolar, 250 oz/in 200 step motor.)

Brian

I am not to sure about the Geckodrive G202 but I think they use a sense resistor to set the current and it seems that the motor may be supplied with too many amps.
    Check the gecko section in this forum.

2muchstuff
    Lets see some pics of those copier motors.

Jason

Saw this post. I am a Regional Tech rep for one of the large copier manufacturers, I won't say who. IF you want stepper motors, especialy the big ones, you want the big machines, 4 feet high, 4 feet wide, 3 feet deep. The big steppers will be driving the drum and developer units, look in the rear of the machine around the center. It's not uncommon to find 4 huge steppers all right next to each other (Toshiba). Document feeders will also have a couple mid size steppers.

The old copiers won't have much for steppers as back then they really did'nt use them, more chains and clutches. But the newer designs are going more and more to steppers as they are much more reliable and accurate than electronic clutches and failure is low, great news.

You can also get some nice DC motors out of them. They make great small generators if your into building wind generators. Steppers don't work well for that.

The power supplies are another good item. They output 24, 12, and 5 VDC. They use a basic design, pretty much AC in and DC out, most copier power supplies are always on as many have like drawer heaters to keep paper dry, and fax systems installed to receive at night when people go home. They crank out some nice amps.

Not much in the scanners, you might find a few hardened shafts but the max lenth is about 21 inches as the largest paper size is 11 X 17. Good for a Z axis. Although usually at least one stepper in there.

Don't know if the bearings are worth the trouble. They are usually metric and all different sizes.

Look in the phone book, copier dealers are a dime a dozen. Or ask around, somebody usually knows a copier tech, and he can do all the work for you!

Happy hunting.

I stopped by the copier place today after work, the machine was a Toshiba DP-8000. They had put it into the dumpster on it's front but I did notice a sticker on the back that said Class 1 laser in use. I know that those little laser pointers are class IIIa but how much power is a class 1. Is it worth going after and what is the easiest way to retrieve it.

As for pictures of the motors, I have to find the charger for the camera first. Those batteries don't stay charged long enough for my liking. As soon as I find it and get things charged up, pictures will be on the way.

camcam- It is great to have a copier tech here to give us some insight on these toner breathing monsters.

Page 3 of 8 12345