586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pic stepper motor controllers

Can anyone tell me what the advantages are when it comes to using pic to control stepper motors. I have seen some kits that use pic controllers. I want to convert a small lathe to cnc. I would like to use an inexpensive means to control two stepper motors. I would like to use a pc as the control and steppers as the axis motors. I need your ideas for the driver that goes between these two.

pic microcontrollers are programmable devices. you 'burn' code into their memory and they execute it, usually in an endless loop.. the advantages for this intelligent control of motors is many-fold. (and i cannot begin to explain it all)

the main advantage when driving stepping motors in either bipolar or unipolar operation would the ability to easily create multi-stepping sequences... so you 'fake' higher motor resolution. the other would be easier integration of a constant current(hence constant torque) drive.

i suppose there are other benefits also.. but these would be the main ones. the advantage of using pic-micro driver boards as opposed to the really nice and affordable xylotex boards would be the flexibiliy of output transistors(and therefor power ratings) of a DIY solution.. 15amp transistors make a 15amp drive.. twice the rating of a gecko. probably 1/4 the cost..

however, you get what you pay for.