586,069 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fadal CNC 88 HS

We have a 97 Fadal VMC15Xt with the CNC88HS controller.
    The problem we are having is that when we are running programs there is a hesitation (significant) when changing axis or direction.
    Our programs have a G8 programmed in.
    Any suggestions?

Increase your shop rates to cover the extra time your CNC needs to change direction accurately. Although G8 is faster than G9 on a Fadal, it is not more accurate. You will have to get used to it, or change your control.

Good luck,
    Scott_bob

LOL

Scott-bob That is a hoot !!!!

BTW what's a G8, exact machining ? I need to refresh my memory on Fadalese, I need to write a SurfCAM post to my liking.

Anywho, just got 2 Fadals to program, 88hs controls. What file suffix do I use on them ? .txt, dnc, nc ???

I am away from the shop trying to program from afar.

My techee is also having issues with axis stall, is that machine lock or did the Fadal guys who just repaired the machines miss a parameter...

Geo P

G8 = No feed ramps
    G9 = Feed Ramps

I detest the 88HS feed ramps, it is a painful process to watch.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have been reading the posts on Fadal mills for the last couple of hours.
    I am about to buy a low hour second hand 2000 Fadal VMC15 with 88HS controler. I have a small machine shop with a couple of manual mills and am making the jump to my first auto machine.
    I would like to know if there are any training CD's available "to suit novice users" for this machine's controler.

Also I would like advice on the following: I have talked to a couple of people who have asked "will I be using the machine's controller or my lap top" to run the machine? What advantages and disadvantages to running the machine with an external PC "Vista".
    Regards Steve

Sounds like you are asking if the program should reside in the CNCs memory, or if it should reside on the laptop while running the machine in "DNC" or "Drip-feed" mode. You should always run from memory whenever possible. The Fadal can hold a pretty large program, so if your program fits in the CNCs memory, just download it from your laptop to the CNC, then run from there. That way, any interruption of the DNC link will not affect your part cycle.

If the program won't fit in the CNCs memory, they you'll have to run in "Drip-feed" mode. The DNC software in your laptop will have to feed data to the Fadal continuously until the program is finished. If you need DNC software for your laptop, contact me at [email protected] or my West coast buddy John Hosmon at [email protected]

Caution: Vista poses a special problem for laptops and serial ports. Most laptops don't have real serial ports anymore (it would be a 9-pin male plug on the back). If you don't have one, you'll need to use a USB-to-serial adapter, and many USB adapters don't come with device drivers for Vista. Before you buy any USB adapter, check to see if your laptop has Vista 32 or Vista 64. Some adapters come with drivers for Vista 32, almost none have drivers for Vista 64. You can see if you have Vista 32 or Vista 64 right-clicking on "My Computer" and clicking "Properties"

At enter next command type MEM (enter) see how much memory you have

cry for help.
    We have a 97 Fadal VMC15Xt with the CNC88HS controller.
    We have to same machine and nobody knows what code to use to save the g code.
    I have got as far as running one line at the time at the machine controls, but there must be away to make a program without a pc.
    Can anyone help plz. Needles to say we are very new to cnc.
    Soeren