2,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234
    Jon check this out.
    Building an AK variant at home.
    ak variant

Hey JFettig:
    Welcome to cnc land. It will consume you beyond belief before you know it. I build custom 1911's for a hobby and love it. I'm entering the final phases of converting a lathemaster mill to cnc, 3 axis with provision in the controls for a 4th. I'm using mach 3 with bobcad 21 at this time. I'm just learning cad and modeling so there is much work yet to do.
    For gunsmithing, I do a lot of hand fitting and checkering. My ultimate goal is to cnc the sight cuts, flat top slides. top serrations, and front strap checkering. In other words, let the machine do the hard part.
    Dumpster.......... Nice 1911's. Do you want to share the g-code for the cuts???? All help is appreciated!!!!
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Oh, I have been in cnc land for a couple years now 2-3,

About the 1911s, take a look at cncgunsmithing, I am pretty sure he has the models up on there.

I was looking through his log on making those handgun frames and they look rediculously time consuming!

Jon

Anyone knows where to find a 3d model of the 1911 slide? Machining a frame now of MDF just for fun

bill_south:
    What g code do you need? I have about 20 programs for the frame alone, the mini-mill didn't have enough travel in Y axis, so I had to build a jig that I could setup on offset pin holes to do the upper and lower halves, so I have twice as many programs as I need and they aren't very organized. But I'll share if they will help you.

JBV:
    I made a full 3D model of the slide from the original NM blueprints (with some custom touches), let me do some final work to it and I'll share it.

Justin at cncgunsmithing.com has the frame model, I used that for my pistols, he also has a full set of 1911 blueprints (54 pages) in .pdf that I sent him.

Tim
    dumpsterCNC
    anti-backlash solutions for the DIY CNC'er
    http://www.dumpstercnc.com

Sounds great!

can someone explain how come most bits can be made at home but chamber and slide (or was it something else) have to be bought? is it that they are made of unobtanium or is something else the matter?

You could make them, they are typically much more difficult to make or easier to obtain. I wouldnt even consider making a barrel, it would have to be riffled and thats not too easily done in a home shop.

I think that by the time I get done with the recievers, I'll have made enough and just want to shoot it

Jon

Posix;
    Most gun parts can be made at home for your personal use. Of course, this is only the guns that are leagal to own. I plan to make a lot of my own parts for the 1911 with the new cnc equipment. However, the receivers (serial numbered part of the 1911) will be for my own use and not for sale since that would be illeagle and will land you a membership in club fed. However, when in doubt, check with your local law enforcement. It's a lot of fun but not worth getting into trouble over.
    Have fun making chips.
    billyjack
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by dumpster
    bill_south:

JBV:
    I made a full 3D model of the slide from the original NM blueprints (with some custom touches), let me do some final work to it and I'll share it.

Tim
    me too??
    you can send them to [email protected]
    www.turnercustoms.com

I love the 1911. I make grips for the 1911 in both slab and bullseye.
    I'm moving everything over to cnc and it has taken a lot longer than I had hoped, but soon....

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I've been doing a lot af revolver competing. Here in Scandinavia there is a style called "field shooting" where we go through 8 stations á six rounds with different criterias on all stations, time limit included. Everything between 10 and 180 meters, 10 to approx 100 seconds - no optical sights allowed. I can tell you, it's really fun.

Anyway, my friend made a Colt .45 replica with 11 inches barrel. He was working at a rifle producer, only way to do the barrel was night working at the industry, it's an amazing precision work.
    The really great and fun part, he managed to make it legal - BEFORE he even made it. The only way to get a license here is to join a club for at least a year and then search permit for ownage at the police for that particular gun you want to buy, you actually need the serial number and model. It doesn't matter if you're part of the Olympic Games team and have 40 years of gun experience - you still have to go through the licensing every time you buy a gun or a new part.
    And he still got it legal.

Check this site out, I've been a member here for several years. It's perhaps the finest resource on the net for what you want to do. Be sure to join and check out the forums.

http://www.roderuscustom.com/

Here's that 1911 slide model in .igs format for any of you guys that want it. I can't guarantee that it's perfect, but it's pretty danged close... I built mine from it and they came out great... and where else are you gonna find one?

I did have to do some serious hand filing on the inside to fit the barrel, but that was mainly due to the long endmill flexing. This model has the factory rounded top and standard sight cuts, front staked and rear dovetail. Be sure to get those blueprints from cncgunsmithing.com before starting this project.

Enjoy,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1911 Slide Model Render 01.jpg   1911 Slide Model Render 02.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    dumpsterCNC

That looks great! Thnx dude

Thanks Tim,

I have a machining question for you. How did you make the locking lug abuttment cuts? What material and hardness is the slide?

Now for the fun part. I see you have two hobbies....bowling and shooting. The combination of those two is loads of fun. I going to ask....have you ever done any pin shooting? We shoot em till their no good, then cut the necks off and shoot those with .22 pistols!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    Thanks Tim,

I have a machining question for you. How did you make the locking lug abuttment cuts? What material and hardness is the slide?

Now for the fun part. I see you have two hobbies....bowling and shooting. The combination of those two is loads of fun. I going to ask....have you ever done any pin shooting? We shoot em till their no good, then cut the necks off and shoot those with .22 pistols!

Mike
    Hi Mike,

The locking lugs were the hardest part, as you can imagine. I used an undercutter made out of a .625 4-flute endmill and went down through the front of the slide. The Z axis on my mini mill wasn't tall enough so I had to move the slide under the spindle (with the tool down in the slide) before putting the tool in the spindle. That was fun...

I made the slides out of 303 stainless, pretty soft as far as stainless steel goes but they are holding up well and it wasn't too bad cutting it on the mini mill.

Pin shooting? Awesome. Never done that, but I have a couple pins that may look good with some .45 holes in them.

Tim
    dumpsterCNC

I don't want to hijack this thread so I started a new one on my 1911 project here. Sorry Jon.
    dumpsterCNC

what i want to see is a milled AK reciever.

you can buy the parts kits for like $90, because everyone wants the stamped ones. they are MUCH easier to make receivers for.

You still have to replace and put in Ameican parts if you use a parts kit. Your only allowed so many foreign parts. Some the cheap kit barrels are to short, so you have to put on a big ugle muzzle break or pay 200 bucks(as i remember) short barrel lic. fee.

I been thinking about building one myself too. But i think im just going to save up 300-450 bucks and buy one at the next gun show.

Then i can sell it anytime i want and if a cop asks i don't have to explain how it's legal.See ton of stories of cops taking them away but you do get it back after some fighting.

I think it's best to build handguns, you don't run into the "freak out" type people when they see a ak47.

I think it's best to build handguns, you don't run into the "freak out" type people when they see a ak47.
    screw those people!

build the ak!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Page 2 of 5 1234