586,108 active members*
3,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > first time titanium attempt on mini mill

first time titanium attempt on mini mill

purely for fun id like to try my hand at titanium on my dyna myte 2900. its a 1500 lb machine (im not sure how much of that is the mill casting, and how much is the enclosure, platform, and cast coolant pan)

it can do 200ipm rapids at most (i think the PID is starting to lose it there though..lets say 150 and under)

it can do 7000 rpm, and its got a 2hp spindle

its bt30

where should i start as far as feed, speed, chipload, cutter type, etc.. for titanium? i will probably be making something small, say 2" diameter, and probably 3/4" thick at max.

Here is a project where a guy is making a wrist watch case out of titanium. New old watch...
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I run ti all day long on my tormach 12 hrs a day. depends on the cutter but for that size a 1/8th AlTin coated carbide 4 flute em I run at 5140 RPM with 8.6ipm, and a .008 DOC cutter lasts for about 2 days of machining.

Quote Originally Posted by jake hoback View Post
    I run ti all day long on my tormach 12 hrs a day. depends on the cutter but for that size a 1/8th AlTin coated carbide 4 flute em I run at 5140 RPM with 8.6ipm, and a .008 DOC cutter lasts for about 2 days of machining.
    jeez thats awfully slow...is that how slow you have to go in order to get things to work out?

That feed is real close to what g wizard recommends. I still push it a little more if I need speed but the surface finish goes down hill quick any faster or deeper doc

Also, the Tormach is limited to 5140, if I was able to go to 7000 I would be able to up my feed a lot prob push it to 12-13ipm

Quote Originally Posted by jake hoback View Post
    Also, the Tormach is limited to 5140, if I was able to go to 7000 I would be able to up my feed a lot prob push it to 12-13ipm
    the tormach has the power to remove more material doesnt it? is there another reason to keep it this low?

what are you making? pics!

Power isn't the limitation. It's heat that matters. See the article here:

Cool Tips for Cutting Titanium | Features content from American Machinist

Titanium doesn't conduct heat away like some other metals, so you need high flow flood coolant to cut with any speed in addition to the right tooling, spindle power, etc. In addition to tool failure, the heat can work harden the titanium depending on what alloy you're cutting. I've heard machining titanium compared to some of the nastier to machine stainless steel alloys.