586,108 active members*
2,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Adding machine shop to existing business

Adding machine shop to existing business

I am a co owner of a engineering and design firm here in Houston. In the past we out sourced most machine work (We have a SLA so we did printed stuff in house). We now occupy a bigger building that has a large shop (loading dock, large bay doors, 3phase power, coated flooring, etc, etc) this coupled with our growing work volume makes it worth while to set up our own shop.

I have some experience with CNC. I am a EE by trade, am well versed in SW, and AutoCAD as well as Camworks. I've had a higher end production CNC (servo) router in my garage shop for about 8 years (for making PCBs and other fun things) as well as a manual mill and lathe so I understand the process of machining (to some extent). But going from small hobby garage stuff to large scale big boy machinery has me spooked. I have no idea what I need besides the machines.

To that end, after quite a bit of shopping and research I ended up purchasing two new machines from Haas, a TM-1P (with 4th) and a TL-2 (with enclosure).
    I like the idea of have a dual purpose lathe. Both machines should work fine for our prototyping and low volume production needs. I have the room to add production machinery as we grow but I think this is a good start. I've got about 7 weeks before the machines get here to set up the shop and this is where I am lost. So I've got the machines now I need to tool up and I need help on this. Here is my very basic list now:

I know Ill need a decent collet set, a tool sharpener/griner. GP tooling, I would like to use insert tooling as much as I can. Renishaw tool setter and probe for sure. Air compressor, tool storage or drawer sets. A manual mill/drill with rotary table/indexer. A few work tables.

So I guess my question is, if you had to setup a shop for the type work we'll have, and you had these two machines coming in, what else would you need to have?

Thanks for any and all help, Bill.
    (here is a snap shop of the shop part of our office building, we've got about 2K SQFT to play with)

If it is not to late to reconsider, I would contact the folks at Ellison Technologies. They rep Mori Seiki and you will get a greater return for your investment. You are going to be limited on your tooling simply because the size of your machines. But if you are committed to them I would contact Darren Peltier at Champion. I am not a big Haas fan, but Darren is without question one of the best in the business.

it can be a very nice shop..

vmc s are differ from routers.. pending of your work on beginning you might works without toolgrinders.
    it might wont be hard for you, but definitely some learning curve after router..

also pending of your works a wireedm can be very effective at conturcuts..