586,052 active members*
4,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Titanium/T7075 Product Line

I think this is my third RFQ. So far things have worked out pretty good. I am looking for a small business to build a number of ATV/Dirt Bike/Radio Control parts.

I am currently interested in having a bumper for a radio control truck (see attachment) made from titanium. It is important to note that I want to expand into a variety of styles, and then for a variety of radio control trucks.

Width: 5.25" (135mm)
    Height: 1" (25mm)
    Thickness: .096" (2.4mm)

Serious inquiries only please.
    Do not respond if you are not interested in growing a product line.
    Do not respond if you do not have the time or expertise to pursue a product line.

Please direct all responses to [email protected]

Sincerely,

www.DrasticSports.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bumper.jpg  

To quote this we will need to know some more information. I can draw up something similar in appearance, but will need dimensions for your hole locations, and the size of the holes. Also is the part flat?

Thanks
    Scott

More Info

I have recieved several inquiries for more information. It only needs to be a brushed finish. I am looking for quotes for both T7075 and Titanium. My preference is titanium. I am looking to completely outsource this (CAD/CAM, materials, etc). I will provide an example to use. However, I will have a graphic artist send pics of different designs that I would like to have manufactured. Most of the parts wil be flat.

The previous post contains a pic and the dimensions. I think that is all that is necessary for providing a quote.

I am not looking for an exact quote since I will want many different designs done. I am looking for a good idea about how much each will cost. I know there there will be CAD time for each design. I will pay for that seperately.

Here is a link to a number of other products that will follow: www.hcrracing.com
    Please take a look around that site.

I am commited to making my own product line. I am trying to find the right machinist to help me get there...

Sincerely,

www.DrasticSports.com

i distrust all business entities that speak of themselves in the first person and with a slightly-menacing tone!

however, i cannot help you anyways.

That slightly menacing tone is the seriousness of my intent. It means that I am willing to put out the $$$ to make a project happen...

I wouldn't make this part myself, but I know laser and forming shops that would be just thrilled with a recurring part. I can do the CAD and jobshop management as a "man-in-the-middle" arrangment no problem.

If you don't get any takers here, send me an email, I can hook you up... ([email protected])

Mixed results

So far I am having mixed results. I have recieved numerous requests for more info. I think I have that covered in this thread now. I have also recieved quotes for material and labor that are in excess of what companies are selling similar parts for.

Example: Here is an aluminum bumper that retails for $12.95
    http://www.rcraveninc.com/product/TMBMPU
    It is 2 pieces and powder coating is also included in that price!

I have recieved quotes for $13 to $14 for a single bumper (no rear) and no powder coating.

I know that larger companies get better prices on materials, but they also have a tremendous amount more overhead then I do that has to be figured into their price. Especially since my overhead is roughly $0.

I am a software engineer that makes a great living. I started an Ebay store and it is doing very well. I want to expand into many other parts and have the capital to do so.

I have done other RFQs and have not had as much trouble, am I doing something wrong?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated..

Sincerely,

www.DrasticSports.com

In production, nothing will help the price like volume. If you place an order for 10,000 bumpers, you will likely get them for a few cents per item (okay more in 7075 or titanium). If you want 10 now, and maybe 10 per month (and maybe not), then they will have to be expensive to offer any profit to the shop.

I haven't seen any indication of volume in your posts. If you want 10 of one design and ten of a similar but differnent design, you still are not offering voume.

The other thing is that these parts would not be machined in volume. They would be stamped out with a die. You'd have big up front cost for the die, but then could produce them in there thousands at material cost.

I suggest you get a copy of Materials and processes in manfacturing by DeGarmo.
    Regards,
    Mark

Mr Drastic Sports

I beleive this may help: http://www.jeffalbro.net/cnc/rfqs/

I was just looking at it. I too will want some parts soon and am hoping people here can help me. sorry for the 'dig', but its always weird when people asking for help are anything but gracious...

Anyways. as noted, parts get alot cheaper in quantity. That said, I think you should be able to get parts like those bumpers for around $5 each in quantiy of 5. People here with a decent aluminum-cutting cnc router could cut sheets of blanks of those. say 10 per sheet, and then form them to that simple profile using a simple tooling and press of some kind. if i had the cnc machine, i would happily either adapt my largish hand-press to do this, or purchase an inexpensive press that could do it.. for a die of a profile that simple, i would consider actually sawing steel angle and bolting it togehter... powder coat with my harbor freight powder-coater rig.. i would demand a minimum quantity n these things.. so i could hire a friend to do the grunt work..

Checking Mcmaster.com, the material is quite expensive to begin with:

Thickness .09"
    Thickness Tolerance ±.0040"
    Length Tolerance ±1/16"
    Width Tolerance ±1/16"
    Material Corrosion-Resistant Aircraft-Grade Aluminum (Alloy 7075)

12" 12" Square Sheet 8885K14 $29.95
    24" 12" Rectangular Sheet 8885K21 47.83
    24" 24" Square Sheet 8885K27 86.05
    48" 24" Rectangular Sheet 8885K34 158.84
    48" 48" Square Sheet 8885K41 283.60
    8' 48" Rectangular Sheet 8885K47 512.28

You should do some leg work and look for more sources of material. Many shops probably go right to something like mcmaster to base their quote on. Also, you can consider making things in alternative mateirals. Say carbon fiber. Then the part gets laid up on a mold made of special modeling board, vacuum bagged, and the shape cut with a cnc.. this can be cheap and interestin.. i mention that because i noticed it on your ebay auctions.

if i had the 2 machines i am currently building as fast as i can done, i would talk to you about doing these. if the material was cheaper, i could see machining these things 10-50 at a time out of a sheet, and bending them into a smple jig on a hydraulic press... even a small hand press may work...

stupid waiting around for good stuff to show up on ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by DrasticSports
    Example: Here is an aluminum bumper that retails for $12.95
    http://www.rcraveninc.com/product/TMBMPU
    It is 2 pieces and powder coating is also included in that price!

I have recieved quotes for $13 to $14 for a single bumper (no rear) and no powder coating.
    Drastic,

The cost of each part is really going to depend on quantity more than materials. 7075 is twice as expensive as 6061, but we're talking a buck vs 50 cents.

I'd find someone with a waterjet. Stack 30 sheets on top of each other and cut out 1000 parts in half an hour. Dump em in a vibratory tumbler and check back in a couple hours.

"I think you should be able to get parts like those bumpers for around $5 each in quantiy of 5."

Your joking right? Thats $25.00 for the job. Put down the CRACK PIPE and step away from the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate the advise.

Is there anyone on this board with a waterjet that wants to do some cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba
    Drastic,

The cost of each part is really going to depend on quantity more than materials. 7075 is twice as expensive as 6061, but we're talking a buck vs 50 cents.

I'd find someone with a waterjet. Stack 30 sheets on top of each other and cut out 1000 parts in half an hour. Dump em in a vibratory tumbler and check back in a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 302XRAM
    "I think you should be able to get parts like those bumpers for around $5 each in quantiy of 5."

Your joking right? Thats $25.00 for the job. Put down the CRACK PIPE and step away from the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, in a normal world that would be absurd.

However, in this world, which is inhabited with retired older gentlemen, young tinkerers, and the inbetween - all armed with CNC equipment, shops, and, generally, not alot going on - they may find it a pleasure to make ANY $ off their home machine..

Especially if it is as simple as milling a piece of aluminum 2D, and then pressing it into a really simple 'mold' or 'die' made of angle iron or something similar.

I am not smoking crack. I have heard stories of people here getting RFQ's for 'high accuracy titanium lathed part' filled for less than $50.

If you have a tiny MDF CNC machine that cost $500 to build, and it can just barely cut these 2D profiles in aluminum, but it can.. you might be willing to do this job as a 'paid learning experience'

so, scoff all you want. scoff away. exclamation points and all.(lots of them at that)

but you sir could very well be wrong.. and exclamatory..

oh. the anodizing can be done with a car battery and plastic tub.. if im not mistaken...

obviousely though, the best choice would clearly be for him to goto a commercial shop...

but he is asking hobbiests..

I can get the parts laser cut cheap enough but throwing in design,deburring and coating for a small quantity may not be very cheap.

If you can at least do the design it would be a big plus on the quote.

Play around with this free Xpress software from Alibre and see if you can do a little solid model and send it my way.

http://www.alibre.com/products/

The software is easy to use and those parts probably could be desingned with nothing more than dial calipers.

Bumper Job Filled

I appreciate the quotes for this job. It has been my pleasure to see the work of some very talented machinists. I have accepted a bid for this job, which also turned into a couple of other projects as well.

It is my intention to build a product line with at least one machinist and so far the one I have selected is doing incredible work.

Sincerely,

www.DrasticSports.com