586,117 active members*
3,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Cadet V4020 with 5020m Control Error Help

Cadet V4020 with 5020m Control Error Help

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up an 4020 and am getting a 1-1 Bus Error primarily at two access addresses after transporting it home. One is FFF7804E and the other is FFF03FCA. I was told that these point to any ECP related board. To narrow it down, I alternately took the CCOP2 and CCOP cards out of the fiber loop. This seemed to point to the CCOP2 board being faulty, as when I pulled it out of the loop, the machine booted up. Of course when I tried to do anything, it gave an error, usually with the same two addresses mentioned above. If I swapped the CCOP2 board back in, the machine failed to boot. So I bought a replacement card thinking it was the CCOP2, but the machine acts the same with the new card.

I then alternately pulled the ribbon cable connectors on the FOHT and FOPT cards, leaving one connected. The machine boots with the FOPT card attached, but not the FOHT, seemingly pointing to the FOHT card. I've ordered an FOHT card to swap in and try as it was cheap. Interestingly enough, if I unplug the blue I/O connector (the CN3 Y1) on the FOPT card while the ribbon cable is connected as it should be , then the machine will boot. Plug it back in and it won't. I get the same 1-1 CPU error every time, but sometimes it changes the address depending on what I put in and pull out. I can make it do an FFF02214, FFF022CB, FFF7822E unplugging various things, but most commonly, when everything is plugged in as it should be, an FFF7804E and an FFF03FCA. These two are the ones I'm really worried about.

I am downright confused here. I have all of the manuals, but none really help this issue. I did find a loose connector and a ripped wire going to the magazine drive board, but I fixed those and nothing changed. I WAS told that the machine had tool changer problems when I bought it, but that everything else worked fine...This, to me, would seem to support that it has something to do with the CCOP2/FOHT/FOPT cards or wiring.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Now, where I really can't find any information or do any work whatsoever is in dipswitch settings for various components. I'm worried some may have moved in transport and I have no clue where they should actually be. Specifically, the switches on the new CCOP2 and old CCOP2 boards are different and both are different from some pictures of board I have seen online from the same era machine I have (1995). Is there any way to figure out what the numerous switch settings are supposed to be?

I apologize for the length of this message, but thank you very much for your time. I am very willing to compensate whoever "leads me to the cure", as well.

Best Regards

Ive seen a similar alarm with a shorted worklight. Remove the I/O outputs and try to power up. If it does, plug them in 1 at a time until the unit alarms, then track down which one is shorted.

Just as an update, I fixed this issue. It turns out that it was the ECP board and the remote I/O boards were only allowing it to boot because it was not giving the VAC III a ready signal when the FOHT was unplugged. I replaced the ECP board today and it booted right up. There is no sign of damage on the old ECP board. Very odd.

I do have a 168 alarm B error with the tool changer now, but I have not changed the parameters of the new board yet. I was able to change the spindle orientation parameter, but not the magazine encoder offset parameter for some reason. Any ideas? Thanks!

And another update:

The 168 error was due to the tool changer shot pin being in an indeterminate state. I put the machine in magazine check mode (change machine user parameter 40 word to 51) I then manually moved the shot pin into the up position with the ATC retracted. This let me reset the 168 error, but then brought up a 609 error with the magazine drive. I have found out that the encoder in the servo doesn't match a chip on the drive. I assume that the servo was replaced or repaired incorrectly at some point...so I need to find and replace the encoder now.

I did get the machine to run without the tool changer working, though. On the lower left hand side of the top board of the magazine drive is a row of dip switches that must be set for your particular machine configuration. My machine had 5 and 7 flipped, but I found out randomly that turning them all off puts the drive in a state where it won't throw any errors. I used this to run the machine without having a working tool changer. Everything seems to be great now, minus tool changing.

congratulations.
    I have found out that the encoder in the servo doesn't match a chip on the drive
    too far assumption. I would say, just locate the fault and try to find a solution. The pin was in wrong position - why? Leveling the machine and setting up the ATC would help very much, I guess.

Re: Cadet V4020 with 5020m Control Error Help

I suppose I should update this in case it can help anyone else. The information I received regarding the magazine drive chip being wrong was 100% correct. I was wrong in that the chip needed to be replaced, not the encoder. It should have been a "bdudhc" chip for a high resolution encoder, but was a "bdude8." I fixed this by buying another v4020 and copying and flashing a new chip. The machine has been extremely solid since then. I've lost one SVP board due to my own stupidity and one memory board. I had the machine back up and running in hours both times. I have been extremely impressed with Hartwig support, too!