586,756 active members*
8,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Filet Toolpaths!!

Filet Toolpaths!!

OK I have been using BOB for a little over a year now. I am working on a new part and it seems That in all this time I have never had to create a fillet with a 2 axis mill operation until now. basically I have some small fins on a fuel block Attachment 202030off and I need to cut fillets on top with a .125 fillet tool. How are you guys telling Bob Cam to do this type of operation. Are you lieing to a profile command or a chamfer command. what kind of offsets are you guys using? I figured there would be a tutorial on this but maybe it's so simple and i'm way over thinking it.
    also the part does not have the fillet drawn on it it has 90* edges.

I attached a pic of the rough part and I added a fillet to a portion of it so you can see the result I am going for

bobcad guy Guest
    Don't know about others, but I would simply tell bob I'm using an endmill, the diameter of the pilot, and then profile each rib, you could call it lying, but its such a simple fix, I would rather not waste time fighting the simple stuff, lord knows there's enough battles you can't avoid.

Hey Cliferton, I have had to do this many times with BobCad. Basically I treat this as a chamfer bit and measure the flat on the round over as they ask for it on a flat bottom bit. Not sure why they cant incorporate this in the program but probably saving it for an amazing upgrade in the next version. You just have to do what works until you can afford a better .

I don't know how BoB could do anything here to help.I am talking about the CAM side of things,,not simulation.If you are a Machinist and have been doing this very long you would know that the round over bits vary manufacturer to manufacturer and even the bits vary from even the same manufacturer from tool to tool.Then there is the grind on the tools,which I have yet to hardly see every flute the same.
    This is something you HAVE to measure your tool if you want excellent results,,meaning a true full radius.This is just part of the job.If anybody has a better idea of how to accomplish this,I am all ears.
    I do have a better way for manual machines though,,but that's a whole different thing.

I do it as a profile like BoBGUY was explaining.

Here is a thread that get's a littlte more in depth to corner rounding
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...dmill_v25.html