586,058 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Collision Avoidance System and Sandvik's STL Files

Collision Avoidance System and Sandvik's STL Files

Hi everyone,

I have a "problem" with the Okuma MULTUS B300-II.

We bought it this years and we we would be grateful to give us your opinion on this topic (if the collision systeme is really necessary to protect this machine) ?

Moreover, we buy our tools with "Sandvik" but the Okuma's system don't want to load these tools. (Tool Item C6-DCMNN-00090-12 for T-Max P for example). I converted them to .stl files with less than 9000 faces (as the machine says) but nothing work. What's the format of STL files we have to have ? (We use ProEngineer Wildfire 5)

So, if you have a tip to resolve it, i would never thank you enough !!!

Thanks to all in advance.

PS : Sorry if my english is not as good as he must be ^^

"stl" is text file. Take some working on OSP sample and analyze it. I would recommend Rhinoceros v4 for that. Rhinoceros 5 is faulty.

Thanks for your response.

I tried to edit stl file with different text editor, but i have always different things like that : ˆå½0»ñ@O¯,@EA

We havn't Rhinoceros v4 (I see that it's not a free software) but we have Pro Engineer WildFire 5 and despite all of my different ways to reduce number of faces in the stl, or to change to binary, ascii.... nothing work.
    I just see in this topic : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...tml#post604797 this guy says that :
    Quote Originally Posted by zooloader View Post
    The .stp files that Sandvik offer on their website are not compatable. They need to be converted to .stl files, and then modified still further to make them usable. I spent all day today with our Okuma rep (G'day mate) trying to get six tools and chuck/jaws/billet setup. He was still going when I left for home.

I'm going to analyze stl files from the okuma and if i found anything (or not) i will say it here

It would be in your best interest to get the CAS working properly
    -$60k to have the upper turret fixed, because a boring bar went to the toolchange position while still in the part, is not unusual

- obtain STP files of the holders
    - import the STP file into a CAD software, edit to remove holes, pockets, any complicated shapes that tend to make a file larger than it needs to be

STL export
    - inserts need to maintain high accuracy, chipbreakers & holes not required.
    - holders can be quite coarse, omit coolant holes, text, screws ( unless projecting ) etc. Shims are built into the holder.
    - 1 watertight shape per file

We used "EasyFit STL editor to check watertightness & also to make the file smaller

Easyfit Website
    Download links are at the bottom of the webpage

I have attached an installer package......do all your virus scans etc ( it is not contaminated )...website installer may be a later version

Hello everyone,

I relive this topic because, as I still have this problem with sandvik tools.
    Even using Easyfit to reduce the number of faces, the Multus does not accept the tools from sandvik.
    I began to despair, I tried absolutely every possible manipulations but nothing work.

Anyway thank you for your help,
    I have been (very ?) slow to respond to this topic because I was busy on another project more "important"

P.S : I tried to take a tools directly from the machine and converted with Pro Engineer, and it work like this. But it still not work with sandvik tools.

I don't have CAS so I don't know if this will work but one thing you may want to try is finding the setting for exporting the STL as either ASCII or binary. They may only read one format. I use CAD Exchanger, your 3D data translator for a lot of my STL work.

I tried absolutely every possible manipulations
    how did you allign faces directions?