586,076 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > dx32 motherboard replacement now just a c prompt

dx32 motherboard replacement now just a c prompt

I had to replace the motherboard on my bridgeport vmc 760-22. I got the new motherboard installed. Formatted the hard drive, installed dos 6.2. Installed the cnc software. The dx32 splash screen comes up and the executive loads, then all I get is a c:\ prompt. Any ideas?

why did you format your hard drive?

sounds like you need to edit the autoexec.bat , there is a file it needs to run to start your control software

Initially, the hard drive went bad. Replaced that and got a hard disk controller error. Replaced the hard disk controller and got the same error. Replaced the motherboard. Had to format the hard drive so I could get dos onto it. The autoexec file is the same one we had on the machine prior to replacing the motherboard. I'm not sure which file or which line in the autoexec your referring to??? Thanks for the reply

Don't assume any 486 board will work with your BMDC card. I've had people replace a MB with some "belch-fire" giga speed board and ... zilch. Compatibility issues abound with the DX and SX BMDC cards. I suspect the issue is the BMDC's inability to sync with the processor. Unless you have the exact manufacturer,model and memory you may encounter compatibility issues.
    You failed to mention why you changed the mb ..
    Up side is there is share-ware that can slow down a CPU and perhaps help .. or maybe a newer version of software. If you tell me what you have then I'll check my BPT archives. You said vmc 760-22 so I'll see what I have in my notes

cncfixer... I would also appreciate any info you have to offer. I did the hdd controller board (did an exact replacement) to no avail. Put in a new MB. Saw a few posts online that stated keeping the processor (486) below a ghz, would be an acceptable retrofit. Installed DOS and the CNC software. Process initializes after DOS boots. However, it goes back to a C prompt after loading all of the parameters. I have 8MB of RAM although originally it had 4MB. When I am in front of the machine tomorrow, I will be putting it back to 4. I have a 760 as well. circa '95. Thanks

The BCDM is ISA. Try turning off Plug-n-Play (PNP) in the BIOS.

I suspect the BMDC may have oxidation causing high resistance. There are a couple Eproms on the board ... try to re-seat them, also clean the board contacts ( I use a very low abrasive cleaner ) then re-seat the board a couple times also while your in the neighborhood change the ribbon cable .... I know all this sounds petty ... but sometimes you never know.

Do you still have the old MB ? Hang on to it in case nothing works ( I repair laptop MB's but will look at yours,,,if you want )

forhire and cncfixer~ thanks to both. I have my tech doing the BIOS reset when he is out of a meeting. If no avail, I will go out and do the cncfixer recommendations. I do have the old board. As my un states, I own a pc shop. I have a number of outfits that do mb repair as they have the high end equipment to do so although they were not able to work on anything this old. Do you? Thanks, Jon

Yes ... if you want you can send it to me , even though I don't hold too much hope in that being the problem, just enclose enough to ship it back ... I can do "Re-Flows" on MB's so when I'm done you will at least have a spare... I will put this board through the hoops

Tried all of the recomendations. Cleaned all of the cards. Blew out all of the slots. There was no Plug and Play option to shut off in the BIOS. Still have the same problem. Any more suggestions

Something similar happened to me and it turned out to be the pc power supply. The pc booted up but I guess the voltage wasn't exact enough for the BMDC to boot up.

Here's a Hail Mary pass .... Change or clean the disk drive. I sent you a Personal mail too

When you run B3T.EXE what does it say?

I replaced the disk drive. That didn't fix the problem. I do not have B3T.EXE on my machine. Anyone have a copy that they can email me? [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by laserh20 View Post
    I replaced the disk drive. That didn't fix the problem. I do not have B3T.EXE on my machine. Anyone have a copy that they can email me? [email protected]
    Sent PM. Did you try another power supply yet?

where did you find a hard drive

I've put like six different power supplies in this machine. None of them work. I've searched the web for power supplies with the proper output voltages with no luck. This thing is so old, I don't think they make a power supply with the proper output voltages. I really need to get this thing up and running. HELP!!!!

My power supply was an older style "AT" type. Easily found new on Ebay and many other places. Do you know what type of power supply it requires?

I have full copies of the dx32 software for a TC-22 if you need it
    I have had this same problem over the years
    I will have to do some remembering as its been awhile
    I went through about every problem with my mill you will ever encounter.
    This control works fine just has some issues from time to time.
    If you reformatted your hard drive it is touchy to how many sectors and heads you set in the bios and a couple other things need to be set right
    I have had to pull my BMDC and use a pencil eraser on the contacts to clean it
    Have you found and ran the BMDC.exe?
    I changed to a D.O.M in place of the hard drive and this eliminated a lot of boot problems
    I will have to dig out old notes and dig up my copies of software for you if you need it let me know
    I have found pretty much any 486 motherboard with ISA slots and no faster than 100mhz
    seems to work
    I have windows 3.2 for workgroups installed which allow networking