586,062 active members*
4,891 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport TC-3 loud Yaskawa uaaska-06dbm12 spindle motor

Bridgeport TC-3 loud Yaskawa uaaska-06dbm12 spindle motor

I have a Bridgeport Torq-cut 3 (TC-3) with a LOUD Yaskawa uaaska-06dbm12 spindle motor. I think the noise is coming from the top of the spindle motor rather than the gearbox or spindle. It sounds like a bad upper bearing. How hard is it to change the bearings in these motors? Is it easier to split the motor from the gear box on the machine or remove them combined? Aside from the noise the motor works fine. I'd just like to repair it before it causes more damage.

First you remove the motor from gear box run it outside , try to rotate the spindle shaft by hand and see is it free or jammed /. the spindle motor bearing change is not a big task , but you have to be careful in re assemble , put a marking on flange while refix the cover ,

Quote Originally Posted by nautomation View Post
    First you remove the motor from gear box run it outside , try to rotate the spindle shaft by hand and see is it free or jammed /. the spindle motor bearing change is not a big task , but you have to be careful in re assemble , put a marking on flange while refix the cover ,
    I removed the motor from the gearbox. I tried running it but without the encoder feedback at the spindle but it moves only very slow. Is there a trick to powering this removed?

I have the motor on the bench now. Motor turns smooth by hand. Only visible issue is that it appears the drive gear on the motor is worn heavily on one side and not the other. Normally I'd expect to see even wear on the gear but this is noticeable flat on one side. Could it be that this gear is worn funny and making noise?

Also, should be oil sight window on the gear box be totally full? I'm about halfway up. There isn't a line on the window. Normally on a gear box I'd fill until it ran out the fill location... that would put another inch of oil in the gearbox from it's current location and this gear would be fully lubricated. It appears it has been running just about the oil level.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-02_19-25-08_422.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	203234
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-02_19-25-30_197.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	203236