586,104 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 2001 20 x 50 linear way fadal

2001 20 x 50 linear way fadal

I have a Z axis growling only on rapids or least that is when it's noticeably loud.

Little back story first might help or shed light on what is the issue, the chiller developed a leak and was without coolant for an unknown amount of time before noticed. It wasn't noticed until the Z axis started to make noise.

Just looking for the first places to look, like ball screw assembly or z-axis motor: I search a little and found those a possible suspect items from previous posts. I guess I'm looking for ways to test or see what the issue is, so I can order some parts and get someone down here.

Thanks

The chiller really only evans the thermal growth of the machine. It can not cause an overheat codition that would degrade mechanical componants. Check your backlash, and check to see if the end of the ball screw is moving. If the end is moving you have bad support bearings. If the end stays put but the BL is over .003 the ballscrew is bad.

I appreciate the reply: I just checked the z backlash by using a mag base and indicator and zeroing the indicator and move Z up and down and get .003 of play as it moves on the 4th thou of the job handle.

Guess I will need to get someone else here, to see if the ball screw is moving as I can't see it and move the controller at the same time. I assume you mean it moves as in side to side like it has a bad support bearing, correct?

Sorry a little dumb about these machines.

I checked the backlash a little closer getting more like .0036. Also I can see the ball screw and move the job handle but can't see real well by myself, but it doesn't appear to have any side to side movement and does turn instantly when jogging in tenths.

It also only really makes the growling noise on upward movement, doesn't really make much noise going down towards table.

Reason I posted about the chiller, I was scanning thru posts looking and thought I read somewhere some bearing/seals where cooled by the chiller and though maybe it made the seals go out on some bearings getting debre in them. Wasn't sure if it chilled the ball screws or not, cause the parts I was running the whole time are 3D'ing parts so z was constantly moving.

So does it seem reasonable to go ahead and order a ball screw and get my guy here? Just wanting to get parts on the way, if that is the likely cause. Anything else I should replace at the same time? Figured I get the support bearing also anything else while, he's gonna be into it?

Thanks appreciate any replies

The screw will move up and down not side to side. Put an indicator on the bottom of it. The backlash will be bad in either case, so you need to check to see if the screw is moving.

Ok, the ball screw shaft is moving up and down the .0036. So support bearing then, correct?

I do appreciate your help, Thanks.

Bearing or it mount is loose if it is moving that much. When the bearing is being changed block the Z, and pull the screw out. Put the end of the screw on the floor and push down on the ballnut as you turn it. It should be smooth as glass, if it is rough it is damaged.

OK, gonna order a ball screw and the support bearings so I got both for when my guy can stop by and look at it

Thanks

I did a little research and it does look like the chiller cools those support bearings. Not sure it had anything to do with it failing but it does cool them.