586,500 active members*
1,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Price of 6061 aluminum plates for production? Online prices so high?

Price of 6061 aluminum plates for production? Online prices so high?

I am trying to determine if it is cheaper for me to buy a $30,000 milling machine, 6061 aluminum material, and higher a full time machine operator compared to placing $30,000 stocking orders every few months for the final product in China.

Lets say the final product is 5" x 5" x 5" and costs me $30 landed from China (machined and all).

I looked at some prices for 6061 plates online and they are really far fetched and it appears a lot cheaper to go the China route, just on material alone.

Where do shops doing CNC production get their metal? I am assuming is not online. What would be the approximate cost of a 5" x 10" x 20" 6061 aluminum plate if I was to buy a 20 or 40 foot container worth?

I am guessing the material costs should be well below $10 for 5 x 5 x 5" if having these made in the USA is going to make sense.

Highly doubt you could get 25lbs of 6061 for under $10.00 even at that quantity, I think you'd be lucky to get it at $30.00.
    Us and no other shop with any viable material source is going to just give away their source, your going to have to start diggin.
    Good luck!

in the end it'll probably cost you more to get the parts from china .
    I've reworked many parts that were missing holes , threads , etc . It cost the customer three times as much for us to rework the parts(purely out of spite) , than it originally was before they pulled the work from us to out sourced it to china .
    I know of another company that figured that the 10% of good parts they'd get out of a batch were cheaper than having them machined locally , they thought that until they calculated how much time QC put into measuring and sifting thru the scrap pile
    bottom line is you'll get less than what you've paid for , i don't recall ever seeing anything from china that was high quality , nothing !
    even the so called 6061 bar stock from china that some suppliers are selling is bad , theres something to that aluminum that just doesn't seem right
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

It's not 25 lbs its 5 x 5 x 5". Not sure the weight of that in 6061. Also I have already bought the finished parts from China and have zero complaints so quality should not be taken into consideration. Just price.

trialanderror

6061 aluminum 5x5x5"= 12.19lbs
    Mactec54

Thanks for that. I guess I have to make as much use out of the material as possible. How much does scrap 6061 usually go for by the lb? I assume there's more to just melting it to get it back to useful 6061 aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by trialanderror View Post
    Thanks for that. I guess I have to make as much use out of the material as possible. How much does scrap 6061 usually go for by the lb? I assume there's more to just melting it to get it back to useful 6061 aluminum.
    6061 Extrusions Scrap Price | Aluminum Scrap Prices in North America | Scrap Metal Price
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.