586,416 active members*
3,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alternative to CW-3000

I've recently purchased a CO2 80w laser from china.

I purchased the CW-3000 "chiller" as it seemed to be highly recommended by folks that I spoke to but after using it for a few days, I've discovered that it totally useless to me for use in sub-tropical Brisbane in summer. I couldn't work out why it always gets to approximately ambient temperature after a short period of use so I opened up the case to trouble shoot. I discovered that the "chiller" is not a chiller at all but it's just a glorified water pump.

To keep myself operational, I'm going to use ice to help with the cooling but I need a long term solution.

I would like to hear from others who live in warm climates about how you cool your laser.

Thanks
    Johno

The CW3000 is rated for 50 watts max Johno, your supplier has sold you the wrong chiller for your system

Try a CW5200 ,avoid the CW5000 as it has some design flaws.

cheers

Dave

Hi Johno,
    Yes, cw3000 just a sealed water pump ,can't cool, just need to change to cw5000,or cw5200, or LW06

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by cautious32 View Post

I purchased the CW-3000 "chiller" as it seemed to be highly recommended by folks that I spoke to but after using it for a few days, I've discovered that it totally useless to me for use in sub-tropical Brisbane in summer. I couldn't work out why it always gets to approximately ambient temperature after a short period of use so I opened up the case to trouble shoot. I discovered that the "chiller" is not a chiller at all but it's just a glorified water pump.

To keep myself operational, I'm going to use ice to help with the cooling but I need a long term solution.

I would like to hear from others who live in warm climates about how you cool your laser.

Thanks
    Johno
    Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

Thanks for your helps guys.

I've purchased an aquarium chiller that was old stock at the local supplier so was discounted.

I have put it in series between the CW-3000 and the laser tube. I'll be testing it tomorrow but I don't expect any problems. The pump on the CW-3000 is rated at 15 litres per minute (800 per hour) and the chiller is rated at 800-2200 litres per hour and is adjustable for temperature between 0 and 40 deg C.

I'm not sure what the ideal temperature is for the laser tube is but I figure I'll start at 15 deg C and go from there. If anyone has any guidance regarding the best temperature I'd love to from you.

Johno

Fatbody tubes really need to be kept under 23 degrees Johno but normal tubes are fine up to 28 or so. Better would be a nice stable temperature between 17 and 19C

Too low can cause condensation problems , too high will lead to early tube failure. The best temperature and the best for us temperature are two different things by about 250 degrees

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it at 18C.

I chose to go with a chiller because I assumed it would be best to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Johno

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Fatbody tubes really need to be kept under 23 degrees Johno but normal tubes are fine up to 28 or so. Better would be a nice stable temperature between 17 and 19C

Too low can cause condensation problems , too high will lead to early tube failure. The best temperature and the best for us temperature are two different things by about 250 degrees

cheers

Dave

Re: Alternative to CW-3000

Hi,
    We are the manufacturer of chiller CW-3000
    First , sorry to hear that.
    S&A CW-3000 is thermolysis type water chiller, it does not have compressor, couldn’t control the temperature, working like a fan to radiate the heat. It does the heat exchange between air and water.
    However, we recommend CW-5000 chiller to you as you required a temperature stability.

Quote Originally Posted by cautious32 View Post

Thanks
    Johno
    S&A company specializes in producing industrial water chillers for more than 12 years , S&A chiller series include:CW-3000,CW-5000,CW-5200,Email: [email protected]