586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Mach3 only accepting .TAP files, ignores .NC and everything else.

Tormach Mach3 only accepting .TAP files, ignores .NC and everything else.

So, I make most of my stuff on CamBam, then transfer the .NC file over to the Tormach to make parts. Its been really hit or miss. Most of the time it simply wont run the file since its not in the .TAP format. Anything I can do about this?

SwampDonkey,

We had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad flash drive.

The flash drive was corrupting files.

Have you tried opening the files that do not work with a text editor and see if the g code is still intact?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Try just changing the file extension to .tap and see if that works.
    mike sr

The Tormach should load files with any extension (you might need to change the file-selector pull-down), so if that doesn't work, something is getting corrupted. I use .nc files all day long on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    So, I make most of my stuff on CamBam, then transfer the .NC file over to the Tormach to make parts. Its been really hit or miss. Most of the time it simply wont run the file since its not in the .TAP format. Anything I can do about this?
    I run .txt files in my machine all the time.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

yeah, its all just text... make sure when you load it to have "all files" selected in the type where the file name is... otherwise it might not show up in the selection.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    There is no such thing as ".TAP format". G-code is text, and all G-code files are simply text files, regardless of the file extension. Mach3 doesn't really care what the extension is, and will load and run a file with any extension, as long as it contains G-code. If you have a file that does not load and run, then it does not contain valid G-code, and you need to open the file using NotePad, WordPad, or any other text editor, and see what it *does* contain.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    There is no such thing as ".TAP format".

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Nonsense, it's a relic of the old tape data system that mach 3 still hangs on to for some reason, .tap is the default extension mach 3 tries to open when loading a file and the sample g-code in mach 3 including the famous roadrunner are all .tap extensions.
    as steve says just .txt is all mach 3 really needs.
    walt

In CAMBAM, simply change the default file extension to '.TAP'. It is located under the 'SYSTEM>CONFIGURATION>G-CODE GENERATION' tab. All G-Code files will then be generated with the proper '.TAP' extension.

Also, if you'd like a Tormach-specific POST file, I'd be happy to provide it. We wrote one for the Tormach, as we are both a Tormach- and a CAMBAM dealer. It uses the M998 Tormach toolchange macro and works for the 1100, 770, and both ATC and non-ATC versions Just PM me if you'd like it, it's free.

Thanks,
    John Bower
    Santa Cruz Electronics

I run .tap, .nc, or even .txt files with no issues on Mach 3, but if you really want you can tell CamBam to save files with the .tap extension.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

by defualt the Tormach version of Mach 3 is only looking for a .TAP format...hit the drop down arrow and "open All File Type" there is also the old DOS command "*.*"....But you kids would not know that one...