586,102 active members*
2,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New Doosan?

New Doosan?

Hi All,

I’m currently employed at a job shop call ERW Inc. In Putnam CT, (the nicest shop I ever worked in). We work with a lot of different materials from plastics, aluminum, mild to harden steel, stainless steel, Inconel, Hastelloy, and C-276. We are looking to purchase a new machine and one of the machines on the list is a Doosan VMC. I was looking to get some user feedback on the controls, quality, after sales support and functionality. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance,
    Eric

hi

I work in the uk managing a factory , we have 4 doosan horizontal borers in our works, machine materials including cast iron, carbon steels , stainless and duplex all with good success , good work horses and if looked after accurate also , we have been running these machines for around 7 years , good support from our machine tool supplier , 18I fanuc control on these but guess other controls are available ,

mick

Why don't you post all the machines your looking at. Doosan is a ok machine, but it all depends on what you expect out of it.

We have 2 Doosan Machines both lathes and 5 Daewoo machines. By far the old Daewoo's are much more durable and accurate than the new Doosan's. They just aren't very rigid. Probably wouldnt buy them again.

Thanks for the replies!

We are looking at the following entry level machines.
    Okuma Genos M460-VE
    Quaser (I know nothing about)
    Doosan (I know little about)
    A representative from DMG MORI SEIKI came in to the shop today. I know the Mori Seiki name and know they make a nice high-end machine. How good are their entry level machines? Can't say I’m fond of a 12K RPM spindle air cooled and why waste resources to have a green neon light around the door?

Also while I have some people’s attention what is better grease lubed ways and spindle or the Verctra #2 way lube method? Is having way lube in the coolant tank all that bad? It floats and doesn’t get into the pump for the most part, even if way lube did get into the pump would it really hurt anything?

DMG / Mori have several options in the mid range now. You have the DMC which sounds like what your rep was talking about. It is a co-op machine leaning more toward the DMG side of the company. Hence the neon. DMG likes bling. Good machines for the money. IMO I would look at the Dura Vertical. We have a shop here in town that has on in the middle of three Haas'. Even with a Cat40, it smokes the Haas. The DVD are rock solid for the price. What size machine are you looking at?

Wow auto correct bites! I meant DV .

I have a ton of experience on Haas running them and fixing them, I can't say they are my machine of choice. Regarding the DMG can't say I'm overly impressed either it kind-of reminds me of a European Haas. My wife said it looks like a vending machine. :-) The castings around the spindle look small like the Robodrill. Before being a machinist I was an acoustics engineer and worked a lot in the physics world. I would think having small castings around the spindle increases the chances of harmonics and reducing finish quality and possible tolerances. Rather than having bling why not spend the money on a spindle chiller instead.

I asked about support and if I could be talked threw problems over the phone, the dealer said my call would be answered by a tech in Chicago.

I'll look into the DVD machine.

Quote Originally Posted by EricMFG View Post
    I have a ton of experience on Haas running them and fixing them, I can't say they are my machine of choice. Regarding the DMG can't say I'm overly impressed either it kind-of reminds me of a European Haas. My wife said it looks like a vending machine. :-) The castings around the spindle look small like the Robodrill. Before being a machinist I was an acoustics engineer and worked a lot in the physics world. I would think having small castings around the spindle increases the chances of harmonics and reducing finish quality and possible tolerances. Rather than having bling why not spend the money on a spindle chiller instead.

I asked about support and if I could be talked threw problems over the phone, the dealer said my call would be answered by a tech in Chicago.

I'll look into the DVD machine.
    Opps meant DV :-)

I saw the DMC run at Mori IDays last year. I looked at it for a good bit and asked a lot of questions. They were actually cutting on it, not the usual light cut show demo. It seemed solid. But like your wife it just has a look about it. It actually started to grow on me after awhile. I am still a fan of the Dura Vertical and the Dura Turn. Good luck

The original dura verticals are quite nice. We have a dozen DV5100/5080 machines, as well as a handful of NVDs. NVD blows everything out of the water for accuracy. I would be VERY careful what model "mori" you look at. Those DMG built machines are not even close to true Mori quality.

Hello Eric

I can vouch for Doosan as I'm their training coordinator!
    Feel free to call 973-618-2425
    As long as there's a Doosan on your floor - training is free for life.

We have a shop here in my area that was asking the local distributor if they could get training on the conversational side of the controls. They said none of the people in the territory was able to provide that training. Since this is a straight Fanuc control, should they contact Fanuc or Doosan directly?

If the local distributor cannot or will not provide EZ Guide training contact Doosan.
    973-618-2500

Will do. Thanks

My pleasure.

If you'd like, PM me here. I have training materials free of charge.
    What machine do you have?

We just bought a new Lynx 220lya. Tell me more about training