586,102 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New breakout board and drivers, now stepper problem

New breakout board and drivers, now stepper problem

I have a 3040 Chinese made bench-top 3 axis machine like THIS ONE. It worked great with the stock all-in-one driver board until a few days ago it bit the dust. I installed THIS DRIVER KIT in it and now I have issues. All three steppers act like they are getting about half power. I tried all of the different switch settings for the current, segments, decay etc. I can get it to act better or worse, but never right. It seems like they are running really rough...

Am I correct in my thinking that the motor tuning shouldn't change? It was perfect before, so does that mean that it stays the same with a different driver?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice! I am out of ideas and I am a complete beginner when it comes to these machines.

Jeremy

What are the specs on the steppers? What do you mean by the act like they are getting half power? Are you not getting enough torque to move the machine? Do they just not have enough speed? What voltage does the old PSU put out? It's always better to know what you are adjusting than to just start "flipping switches", since you run the risk of causing further damage by doing so. Do you know what caused the old driver board to die? (I know they sometimes just die on their own, but if there was an event that caused it, could it be preventing the new boards from working?)

There are probably more questions. I've never used the 6560, though so I don't know all of its nuances.

Dave

SOLVED - Thanks for the response. It was just a setting. All good now. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was busy trying to sort it out.